Are you a victim of an overpriced car insurance policy? Trust us, you are not the only one feeling buyer’s remorse.
There is such a variety of insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to be able to choose, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates.
Smart consumers take time to price shop coverage every six months because rates change regularly. Just because you had the lowest rates a year ago you will most likely find a better rate today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out how to use the internet to find better coverage at a better price.
Why you might pay higher rates in Anderson
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in better car insurance rates.
- Bump up deductibles to save – The deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, or theft. The higher the amount you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Special features that cut premiums – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all aid in stopping auto theft.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Even a single moving violation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who get dangerous violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
Cut your premium with discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there are discounts available to help bring down the price. Certain discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some must be inquired about before they will apply.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- One Accident Forgiven – Certain companies permit an accident before raising your premiums if your claims history is clear for a certain period of time.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Anderson can save you money because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for better car insurance rates.
- Resident Student – Any of your kids who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Federal Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Each situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation might need professional guidance.
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- What is the minimum liability in Indiana?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Much more information about car insurance in Indiana can be read on the website for the Indiana Department of Insurance located here. Indiana consumers can file complaints about a company, view a list of available companies, find disaster information, and find a variety of consumer forms.
Affordable car insurance can be bought online in addition to many Anderson insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
We covered many ways to reduce car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may discover the lowest rates come from the smaller companies. These companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.