Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, you’re not alone. With so many car insurance companies to choose from, it can be hard to pick the right company.
It is always a good idea to price shop coverage quite often because prices change frequently. Just because you found the best price a few years ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Starting now, forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re going to learn the fastest and easiest way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list every available discount very well, so we took the time to find some of the best known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Clubs and Organizations – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could trigger savings on car insurance.
- Distant Student – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply well after school through age 25.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home may earn you a small savings due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Which Car Insurance is Cheapest in Bolingbrook, Illinois?
Finding cheaper car insurance prices isn’t really that difficult. Consumers just need to spend a few minutes comparing rates online from several insurance companies. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way consumers can make multiple comparisons would be an industry-wide quote request form click to view form in new window. This type of form eliminates the need for multiple quote forms for each company you want a rate for. Completing one form will get you price quotes from many national carriers.
- A less efficient way to compare prices requires a visit to the website for every company you want to comare to request a price quote. For examples sake, let’s assume you want to compare rates from USAA, GEICO and Farmers. You would have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
To view a list of companies in Bolingbrook, click here.
- The hardest method to get comparison rates is to waste gas driving to local insurance agencies. The internet makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the trained guidance that only a license agent can provide. However, consumers can compare the best prices online and get advice from an agent in your area and we’ll touch on that later.
Whichever way you use, be sure to compare apples-to-apples coverages and limits on every quote you get. If you use mixed coverages you will not be able to determine the lowest rate in Bolingbrook.
Make smart decisions and save
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that go into determining car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to big savings.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Liability coverage will protect you when a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Safer cars are cheaper to insure. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Performance makes a difference – The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in determining your rates. The most favorable rates are for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Your driving citation history has a big impact on rates. Careful drivers receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. Just one moving violation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Drivers who have dangerous citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Young drivers in Illinois are statistically proven to get distracted easily when driving so car insurance rates are higher. Adding a teen driver to your car insurance policy can break the bank. More mature drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Owning a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can help prevent auto theft.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving with no insurance is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Big city or small town – Choosing to live in small towns and rural areas is a positive aspect when it comes to car insurance. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers in populated Illinois areas have to deal with more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
Price shop online but buy from a local Bolingbrook agent
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. Good agents can answer important questions and help file insurance claims. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this short form, your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents who will battle for your business. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. How’s that for easy!
Choosing an insurer should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- How long has their agency been open in Bolingbrook?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
Independent or Captive: It’s your choice
When looking for an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents to choose from. Agencies in Bolingbrook can either be independent (non-captive) or captive. Both insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they differ because it can impact buying decisions.
These agents work for only one company and examples are American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Shown below is a list of captive insurance agencies in Bolingbrook that are able to give price quote information.
Farmers Insurance Group – 280 S Schmidt Rd – Bolingbrook, IL 60440 – (630) 759-3344
State Farm Insurance – 516 W Boughton Rd – Bolingbrook, IL 60440 – (630) 679-1900
American Family Insurance – 494 W Boughton Rd # 4b – Bolingbrook, IL 60440 – (630) 759-0039
Allstate Insurance – 281 S Schmidt Rd – Bolingbrook, IL 60440 – (630) 759-0111
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part. When shopping rates, we recommend you include price quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below is a short list of independent agencies in Bolingbrook that are able to give comparison quotes.
Singh Insurance and Financial – 439 W Boughton Rd – Bolingbrook, IL 60440 – (630) 759-1500
Roy P Thomas Insurance – 305 W Briarcliff Rd # 105 – Bolingbrook, IL 60440 – (630) 679-9400
To view a full list of Bolingbrook insurance agents, visit this link.
Upon getting positive feedback and a low price estimate, it’s possible that you found an insurance agency that will provide car insurance coverage.
More effort can pay off
Discount car insurance is available online in addition to many Bolingbrook insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
We just showed you some good ideas how you can get a better price on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Drivers may discover the best price on car insurance is with a small local company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about car insurance can be found at the Illinois Department of Insurance website. Illinois drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about specific coverages, and discover disciplinary actions.