Are you confused by the crazy number of auto insurance options in Salisbury? Lot’s of other consumers are too. You have so many options that it can be a real challenge to locate the lowest price.
If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you can follow these tips to shop for the lowest rates while maintaining coverages. Locating affordable auto insurance in Salisbury is simple if you know the tricks. Maryland drivers just need to learn the proper way to buy auto insurance over the internet.
Rate influencing factors
It’s important that you understand the factors that go into determining auto insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Males pay more for insurance – The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. They both tend to get into accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Marriage brings a discount – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. It translates into being more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Liability coverage is cheap – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage when a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Higher deductibles cost less – The deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay before your auto insurance pays a claim. Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Maryland give better rates to people who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Driving with no insurance can get your license suspended and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage can result in a steep fine or even jail time.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are many additional coverages that you can buy on your policy. Coverages like personal injury protection, towing coverage and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your rates. Small economy passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Where Can I Get Cheap Salisbury Auto Insurance?
Performing a rate comparison can be a lot of work if you don’t know the best way to get rate quotes. You could spend the better part of a day discussing policy coverages with insurance companies in Salisbury, or you can utilize online quotes to achieve your goal.
Many popular insurance companies participate in a marketplace that allows shoppers to only type in their quote data once, and every company then gives them pricing. This saves time by eliminating form submissions for every auto insurance company.
To find out how much you can save on auto insurance click to open in new window.
The only drawback to pricing coverage this way is you don’t know exactly the providers to get pricing from. If you wish to select individual companies to receive pricing from, we put together a list of low cost auto insurance companies in Maryland. Click here to view list.
Whichever method you choose, make darn sure you compare identical deductibles and coverage limits for each price quote. If your comparisons have mixed coverages then you won’t be able to make an equal comparison in Salisbury.
Take discounts and save
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help offset the cost. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but a few must be manually applied before being credited. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you are throwing money away.
- Senior Citizens – Mature drivers may receive reduced rates.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- College Student – Any of your kids living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance from them.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a home in Salisbury may trigger a auto insurance policy discount due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any amount of discount will cut the amount you have to pay.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
A small number of people would rather talk to a local agent. Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing rates online is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting local businesses is definitely important in Salisbury.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in Salisbury who will give you bids for your coverage. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent to your email. How’s that for easy!
Salisbury car insurance agents are either independent or captive
If you’re trying to find local Salisbury agents, you must know there are a couple different agency structures from which to choose. Agents are either captive or independent (non-captive). Both write coverage properly, but it’s important to know how they differ because it can impact the type of agent you choose
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to include multiple independent agents to get the best comparison. Many write coverage with smaller regional carriers which can be an advantage.
The following are independent agents in Salisbury who can help you get price quote information.
- Cherricks Insurance – 1006 N Salisbury Blvd – Salisbury, MD 21801 – (410) 548-4110
- Nationwide Insurance – 2801 Old Ocean City Rd – Salisbury, MD 21804 – (410) 749-0677
This type of agents can only place business with one company like State Farm, Allstate and AAA. These agents are not able to compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to choose to use a captive agent mainly due to loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
Listed below is a list of captive agents in Salisbury who can help you get rate quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 1506 S Salisbury Blvd – Salisbury, MD 21801 – (410) 543-0333
- Allstate Insurance – 111 Naylor St – Salisbury, MD 21804 – (410) 860-0866
To view a full list of captive insurance agencies in Salisbury, visit this site.
Deciding on a car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How are they compensated?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
After getting positive responses and a low price estimate, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles.
More information is available on the Maryland Insurance Administration website through this link. Visitors are able to learn about specific coverages, read state legal mandates and laws, discover disciplinary actions, and read industry bulletins.
Also read more on BankRate.com’s Car Insurance: When not to Skimp and this page for help finding agents in Salisbury, MD.
Affordable insurance is out there
Budget-conscious auto insurance is available from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Salisbury agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not provide online quoting and usually these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as extreme rates for teen drivers, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, not issuing a premium refund and policy non-renewal. Regardless of your reason, finding the right auto insurance provider is easier than you think.
We just presented many ways to reduce auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with a smaller regional carrier.