Did a good deal turn out to be an underperforming, overpriced auto insurance policy? It’s quite common and there are many people just like you. Many insurers compete to insure your vehicles, so it’s not easy to compare every provider and get the best coverage at the lowest cost out there.
You need to do price comparisons every six months since insurance prices are usually higher with each renewal. Even if you think you had the best deal a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we’re going to show you the fastest and easiest way to save on auto insurance.
There are multiple methods you can shop for auto insurance but there is one way that is less labor-intensive and much quicker. You can waste hours talking about coverages with agents in Watertown, or you could use online quotes to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
The majority of car insurance companies belong to a marketplace that allows shoppers to only type in their quote data once, and each participating company provides a quote. This system prevents you from having to do quotation requests for each company.
To participate in this free quote system, click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to pricing coverage this way is that you can’t choose which insurance companies to receive prices from. So if you prefer to choose specific insurance companies to receive pricing from, we have assembled a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in New York. View list of New York insurance companies.
The approach you take is up to you, just try to keep exactly the same information for every quote you compare. If you are comparing differing limits you can’t possibly determine the lowest rate in Watertown.
Reduce your auto insurance rates with discounts
Some insurers don’t list all disounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below details some of the best known as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their than drivers with accidents.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some insurance companies will let one accident slide without raising rates if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Theft Deterent – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Options like air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts as much as 30%.
- Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization is a simple method to lower premiums on your bill.
- Good Grades Discount – Getting good grades may save you up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
- Low Miles Discount – Low annual miles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having several vehicles with the same company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
A quick disclaimer, most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Larger auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm discounts include anti-theft, passive restraint, safe vehicle, driver’s education, multiple autos, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include homeowner, youthful driver, early shopping, switch companies, good student, and pay in full.
- GEICO may include discounts for emergency military deployment, daytime running lights, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, and multi-vehicle.
- American Family has savings for air bags, early bird, multi-vehicle, accident-free, Steer into Savings, TimeAway discount, and bundled insurance.
- Nationwide includes discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, family plan, easy pay, and business or organization.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, homeowner, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, online signing, and online quote discount.
If you are trying to find , ask each insurance company the best way to save money. Some credits might not apply everywhere. To find insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in New York, follow this link.
Informative consumer insurance sites
Much more information about auto insurance in New York is available on the found here. New York drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, read state legal mandates and laws, read industry bulletins, and learn about insurance regulations.
The following information may also be useful.