Finding better rates for Meridian car insurance can seem to be nearly impossible for people who are new to comparing rates online. You have so many choices that it can quickly become a challenge to find the best price in Meridian.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes quite often since rates are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the best rates six months ago you can probably find a better price now. You’ll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about car insurance online, so by reading this article, you’re going to learn the best ways to find cheap car insurance.
If you are insured now or need a new policy, you can learn to find the best rates and still get good coverage. Finding the lowest cost coverage in Meridian is simple if you know the tricks. Idaho drivers only need to know the best way to compare price quotes over the internet.
These discounts can lower your rates
Companies don’t necessarily list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so we researched some of the best known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in Meridian can save you money because of the fact that having a home shows financial diligence.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- Student Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course in high school.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Federal Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck.
To see a list of insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Meridian, follow this link.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving with no insurance is illegal and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – Having a bad credit rating is a big factor in your rate calculation. Consumers who have high credit scores tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have poor credit. If your credit history can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your credit score.
- Pay less if you’re married – Being married can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. It means you’re more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations like lawyers, business owners and accountants tend to have higher rates than average in part from stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. On the flip side, jobs such as scientists, athletes and homemakers receive lower rates.
Situations that might require an agent
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Idaho?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
What happened to insurance agents?
A small number of people would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Professional agents can answer important questions and give you peace of mind. The best thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain better rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to local insurance agents who will battle for your coverage. You don’t have to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. How cool is that?!
Choosing an insurer needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When finding a reliable agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures that you can select. Insurance agencies in Meridian can either be independent or captive. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the differences because it can impact the selection process.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies have only one company to place business with like State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. They are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Consumers often buy insurance from these agents partially due to the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
Below is a short list of captive agents in Meridian that are able to give rate quotes.
- American Family Insurance – 1551 W Cherry Ln – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 884-5249
- Farmers Insurance Group – 1560 N Crestmont Dr – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 884-0072
- Allstate Insurance – 1740 E Fairview Ave – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 888-3897
- State Farm Insurance – 540 W Cherry Ln – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 888-1711
These agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, we recommend you contact several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison. They often place coverage with smaller companies which may provide better rates.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Meridian who can help you get price quotes.
- Maurer Agency – 4074 W Blue Creek Dr – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 855-2112
- Bob Ward Insurance – 4258 W White Ash Dr – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 887-1740
- Mark Parkin Agency – 1406 N Main St # 112 – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 288-0636
- Kesler Insurance – 226 E 5th St – Meridian, ID 83642 – (208) 887-6266
To view a full list of licensed insurance agents in Meridian, please go to this site.
Upon receiving good answers to these questions as well as a affordable price, you may have just found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
For more Idaho car insurance information
More tips and info about car insurance can be read at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to download brochures, learn about insurance regulations, and read state legal mandates and laws.
Smart consumers save more
People change insurance companies for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, questionable increases in premium, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even poor customer service. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is not as hard as you think.
Low-cost car insurance is possible online and with local Meridian insurance agents, so compare prices from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
As you prepare to switch companies, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.