Have you had enough of robbing Peter to pay Paul to pay your car insurance bill each month? Your situation is no different than many other drivers in Illinois. Big-name insurance companies like Allstate, Liberty Mutual and State Farm all claim big savings with advertising and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the propoganda and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Components of your insurance rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. Knowing what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The higher the mileage driven every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – Liability coverage will protect you when a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide for a legal defense starting from day one. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- High deductibles save money – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims could be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and burglary. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Women and men have accidents in similar percentages, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and better occupant protection means less money paid by your insurance company and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- More claims means more premium – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in Illinois award discounts to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
Do you qualify for a discount?
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- No Charge for an Accident – Some insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Student in College – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Military Discounts – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on the same auto insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies give back up to $50 simply for signing over the internet.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for reduced rates.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To see a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Illinois, click this link.
Are insurance agents obsolete?
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent. Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find better rates but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this short form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Naperville who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. Now that’s easy!
Deciding on an provider should depend on more than just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
- How long has their agency been open in Naperville?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are they full-time agents?
Types of car insurance agents in Naperville
When searching for a reliable agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures to choose from. Agents are either independent or captive. While both can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the difference between them because it can impact buying decisions.
This type of agents write business for a single company such as Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Captives cannot compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captives are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage.
Below are captive insurance agencies in Naperville that can give you rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 6s235 Steeple Run Dr # 202 – Naperville, IL 60540 – (630) 355-6300
Farmers Insurance Group – 1200 Iroquois Ave – Naperville, IL 60563 – (630) 369-1234
American Family Insurance – 1783 S Washington St # 108b – Naperville, IL 60565 – (630) 527-0322
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparison shopping, it’s a good idea to include several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Naperville that are able to give comparison quotes.
Corporate Insurance Specialist – 1150 Johnson Dr – Naperville, IL 60540 – (630) 357-7093
Advance Insurance – 1783 S Washington St – Naperville, IL 60565 – (630) 718-9492
Dean Psyhogios Agency – 6s235 Steeple Run Dr # 11 – Naperville, IL 60540 – (630) 428-0028
Gary Friebus Agency – 10 S Washington St – Naperville, IL 60540 – (630) 717-0300
Don Ellis Agency – 475 River Bend Rd # 200c – Naperville, IL 60540 – (630) 718-0899
To view a full list of insurance agents in Naperville, visit this link.
After getting positive feedback to any questions you have and locked in a price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance agency that will provide auto insurance coverage.
Will just any policy work for me?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. These are some specific questions might help in determining if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Is my vehicle covered for flood damage?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Illinois?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Additional auto insurance links
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Illinois Department of Insurance website. Illinois drivers can find out industry alerts, report car insurance fraud, and learn about insurance regulations.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
When buying insurance coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where an insured cut collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
You just read some good ideas how to get a better price on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the lowest premiums are with a small mutual company. These companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.