Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can dwindle your checking account and force you to make sacrifices. Shopping your coverage around is free and is an excellent way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket. Multiple insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, and it can be difficult to compare rates to discover the definitive lowest cost out there.
Consumers should take time to take a look at other company’s rates at least once a year because prices change frequently. Just because you found the lowest rates a couple years back you will most likely find a better rate today. So just block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to learn the right way to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Comprehensive Car Insurance Comparison in Scobey, MT
Most major insurance companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive provide prices for coverage online. The process is quite easy as you just enter your coverage information as detailed in the form. Behind the scenes, their rating system automatically retrieves information on your driving record and credit history and returns pricing information. This streamlines rate comparisons, but the time required to go to many different websites and type in the same information can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s absolutely necessary to perform this step if you want to find a lower rate.
The quickest way to get multiple rate quotes uses one simple form to obtain quotes from several different companies. It’s a real time-saver, helps eliminate reptitive entry, and makes quoting online a little more enjoyable. Immediately after you send the form, it is rated and you are able to buy your choice of the pricing results. If a lower price is quoted, you simply finish the application and purchase the new policy. It takes 15 minutes at the most and you will know how your current rates stack up.
To quickly compare pricing, click here and enter your vehicle and coverage information. To compare your current rates, we recommend you complete the form with exactly as shown on your declarations page. Doing this guarantees you will get rate quotes using the exact same coverages.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of some of the best known and the more hidden car insurance savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring all your vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount on your policy.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Early Switch Discount – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies will give a small break for buying your policy on their website.
- Payment Method – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
To choose providers offering car insurance discounts in Montana, follow this link.
Educated Consumers Know How to Buy Car Insurance Cheaper
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that go into determining car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in big savings.
Listed below are a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Pleasure use saves money – The higher the mileage driven every year the higher your rates will be. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. They both cause accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species cause more damage. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI. Teenage male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in Montana provide lower rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. Your insurance policy is intended for larger claims.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Many car insurance companies give discounts to insureds who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to shop around to ensure the best deal. You may still find better rates by insuring with multiple companies.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Driving a car with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder car theft.
- Where you reside plays a part – Being located in less populated areas has it’s advantages when it comes to car insurance. Lower population means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers who live in large Montana cities have to deal with congested traffic and much longer commute distances. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
What about using a local agent?
A small number of people just want to talk to a local agent and that is just fine! Agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and give you someone to call. The best thing about comparing rates online is you may find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
By using this quick form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who will battle for your coverage. You never need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. How’s that for easy!
Picking an insurance company requires more thought than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
Different types of Scobey auto insurance agents
When looking for local Scobey agents, there are two different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Scobey agents are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both types can insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning how they are different because it can impact buying decisions.
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents write business for a single company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so keep that in mind. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, we recommend you contact at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Once you have good answers for all questions you ask and locked in a price quote, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to adequately provide car insurance.
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance website. Montana consumers can view agent and company licensing information, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and read consumer alerts.
Also read more on these car insurance answers and this resource to find Scobey, MT insurance agents.
A tidy conclusion
You just read many ideas to compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the lowest rates come from a lesser-known regional company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or Geico.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price.