Buying the lowest cost Cape Girardeau car insurance on the internet can be problematic for beginners to comparing rates online. With such a large number of insurance companies available, how can anyone even start to compare them all to find the best available rates?
It’s a good idea to compare rates periodically since rates are constantly changing. Even if you think you had the best rates two years ago you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate one of the quickest ways to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
If you currently have car insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce your rates substantially using these methods. The purpose of this post is to tell you how to get online quotes and some tips to save money. Although Missouri car owners do need to learn the methods companies use to compete online because it can help you find the best coverage.
How insurance companies determine rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that could result in lower car insurance prices.
Listed below are some of the factors that factor into premiums.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you if ever a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. It will provide for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are quite a few additional coverages that you can buy on your policy. Things like vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. They may seem good initially, but if you don’t need them remove them from your policy.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Physical damage deductibles define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and burglary. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the less your car insurance will be.
- Please use or commuting – The higher the mileage driven in a year the higher your rates will be. Most insurance companies apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list every discount very clearly, so we researched both well-publicized and the harder-to-find car insurance savings.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts when compared to frequent claim filers.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Multiple Cars – Having all your vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with one company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most only cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
Car Insurance through a local agent
Some consumers prefer to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Cape Girardeau who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent to your email. Now that’s easy! It’s the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with.
Deciding on an insurance company requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
Do you need an independent or captive car insurance agent?
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Cape Girardeau agents are either independent or captive.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents write business for a single company such as Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to shop your coverage around so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Some people will only purchase coverage from captives mainly due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are captive agencies in Cape Girardeau who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Shelter Insurance – 1606 Independence St # 2 – Cape Girardeau, MO 63703 – (573) 335-5287
- State Farm Insurance – 1900 Broadway St – Cape Girardeau, MO 63701 – (573) 335-7703
- Allstate Insurance – 1301 N Kingshighway St # B – Cape Girardeau, MO 63701 – (573) 334-0996
- Farmers Insurance Group – 75 Sheridan Dr – Cape Girardeau, MO 63703 – (573) 335-4343
- American Family Insurance – 760 S Kingshighway St # D – Cape Girardeau, MO 63703 – (573) 334-1095
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and that require little work on your part. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller regional carriers which can save you money.
Listed below is a list of independent agents in Cape Girardeau that can give you rate quotes.
- Howard Aslinger Agency – 2552 Independence St – Cape Girardeau, MO 63703 – (573) 334-3921
- Johnson Insurance Group Inc – 6 N Clark St – Cape Girardeau, MO 63701 – (573) 334-8100
- Kenneth E Myles Insurance – 2711 Thomas Dr # 201 – Cape Girardeau, MO 63701 – (573) 334-6112
- Hahs Agency – 1307 N Mount Auburn Rd – Cape Girardeau, MO 63701 – (573) 335-0187
For a complete listing of insurance agents in Cape Girardeau, visit this site.
Upon getting positive feedback to these questions and a low price estimate, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that can adequately provide car insurance.
Progressive, Allstate and GEICO consistently run television and radio advertisements. All the companies make the same claim about savings if you change to their company. But how can every company make almost identical claims?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For instance, a preferred risk might be between 25 and 40, insures multiple vehicles, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Drivers who fall outside these standards must pay higher premiums and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads say “drivers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently make those claims. This illustrates why it is so important to get a wide range of price quotes. It’s impossible to know the company that will provide you with the cheapest rates.
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the Missouri Department of Insurance website. Missouri consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, view a list of available companies, and report car insurance fraud.
In the end, you save
Low-cost car insurance can be sourced both online in addition to many Cape Girardeau insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some car insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage and learned later that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Insureds change insurance companies for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, policy non-renewal, extreme rates for teen drivers and being labeled a high risk driver. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.