Scraping up a payment for overpriced car insurance can take a big chunk out of your checking account and make it impossible to make ends meet. Comparison shopping is free and is an excellent way to lower your monthly bill.
Numerous car insurance companies battle for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every provider to find the lowest rate possible.
You should take the time to compare rates every six months since insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the lowest rates on your last policy a different company probably has better rates today. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the quickest way to find better coverage at a better price.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Brookfield, WI
The are a couple different ways to get quotes and find the best price. The recommended way to find the lowest rates involves getting comparison quotes online. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- One of the simplest ways to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This type of form prevents you from having to do separate quote forms for each company. One form gets rate comparisons from multiple low-cost companies.
- Another way to find lower rates requires you to visit each company website to complete a price quote. For example, let’s assume you want to compare rates from Progressive, Liberty Mutual and GEICO. You would have to visit each site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Brookfield, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but make darn sure you compare the exact same deductibles and coverage limits for every company. If you enter different liability limits it will be next to impossible to make an equal comparison in Brookfield. Quoting even small variations in limits may result in a large different in cost. Just keep in mind that comparing a large number of companies helps locate the best rates.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? – There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Things like personal injury protection, towing coverage and membership fees may be costing you every month. They may seem good when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance level of the car you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. The lowest rates are usually for low performance passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Drive less and save money – The more you drive every year the higher your rate. Most insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than those used for commuting. Verify your car insurance policy is showing the correct driver usage.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Wisconsin generally give discounts to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Males pay more for insurance – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Men and women are in accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 tend to get in the most accidents and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
- Liability coverage protects you – The liability section of your policy provides coverage if ever a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. It will provide legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
Take discounts and save
Car insurance companies don’t list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the best known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving.
- College Student – Youth drivers who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles can earn discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Good Student Discount – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of providers who offer car insurance discounts in Wisconsin, click here to view.
Summing up your car insurance search
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
The cheapest car insurance can be bought both online and with local Brookfield insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some car insurance companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Wisconsin car insurance information
Even more information is available at the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website. Visitors are able to learn about specific coverages, find a variety of consumer forms, and report car insurance fraud.