Shopping for lower priced Penfield auto insurance over the internet might seem overwhelming for beginners to shopping for insurance over the internet. With so many insurance agents and companies, how are vehicle owners expected to have the ability to compare the different rates to find cheaper auto insurance rates?
If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using this strategy. The purpose of this article is to familiarize you with how to effectively get price quotes and some tricks to saving. Nevertheless, New York vehicle owners must understand how the larger insurance companies determine prices because it can help you find the best coverage.
Get cheaper New York auto insurance rates with discounts
Some companies don’t always advertise every disount available very clearly, so we took the time to find some of the best known and the more hidden credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once as opposed to paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Good Driver Discounts – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates compared to accident prone drivers.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags can get savings as much as 30%.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government may reduce rates when you depending on your company.
- Smart Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- Active Military Service – Being on active deployment in the military could trigger a small discount.
- ABS Brakes – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Sign Early and Save – A few larger companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles with the same company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
We need to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it’s just not the way it works.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- American Family discounts include accident-free, air bags, good driver, defensive driver, bundled insurance, multi-vehicle, and Steer into Savings.
- Nationwide has savings for anti-theft, easy pay, business or organization, good student, and Farm Bureau membership.
- MetLife may have discounts that include good driver, multi-policy, defensive driver, accident-free, claim-free, good student
- 21st Century offers discounts for student driver, anti-lock brakes, early bird, defensive driver, automatic seat belts, and air bags.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for multi-car, teen driver, bundle discounts, early shopping, good student, pay in full, and business and professional.
- Allstate may offer discounts for utility vehicle, multi-policy, auto/life discount, 55 and retired, new car, and good student.
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering how many discounts you can get. Savings may not apply everywhere. To see companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in New York, click here.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at the New York Department of Financial Services website. New York consumers can download brochures, read consumer alerts, and find disaster information.
Cheaper coverage is out there
We’ve covered many ways to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more you , the higher the chance of saving money. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from the least-expected company.
A few companies may not provide rates over the internet and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agencies. Low-cost auto insurance is possible online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost, not the least amount of coverage.