If you’re new to shopping for auto insurance online, you can be overwhelmed by the hoards of auto insurance companies offering coverage in Bath.
This information will instruct you on how to get online quotes and some money-saving tips. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. Maine consumers only need an understanding of the tricks to get comparison quotes online.
These discounts can lower your rates
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you can get discounts to help bring down the price. Some trigger automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be specially asked for before you get the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Organization Discounts – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates when buying auto insurance.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Have your child take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a course in driver safety could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase a life insurance policy as well.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Accident Free – Good drivers with no accidents pay less compared to drivers who are more careless.
Consumers should know that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your premiums.
To see a list of companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Maine, follow this link.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Bath, Maine
All major auto insurance companies give prices for coverage online. The process is pretty painless as you simply type in the coverages you want as detailed in the form. After you submit the form their system orders your driving record and credit report and provides a quote determined by many factors.
Being able to quote online makes it a lot easier to compare rates but the time it takes to visit a lot of sites and fill out multiple forms can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s absolutely necessary to perform this step if you are searching for the best price possible.
An easier way to compare auto insurance pricing uses one form that gets price quotes from several companies at one time. This type of form saves time, requires much less work on your part, and makes online shopping much more efficient. After sending the form, it is quoted and you are able to buy your choice of the quotes returned.
If a lower price is quoted, you simply finish the application and buy the policy. The entire process only takes a few minutes and may result in a nice savings.
To save time and get comparison pricing now, click here to open in new window and input your coverage information. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you type in deductibles and limits as shown on your current policy. This makes sure you will be getting a price comparison based on similar coverages.
Save Money with These Tips
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The list below includes some of the items used by your company to calculate prices.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Economy passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – Driving more miles in a year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Cars that are left in the garage can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your auto insurance coverage is showing the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money.
- Being married is a good thing – Getting married can get you a discount when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- How many coverages with the same company – Some companies give discounts to insureds who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Can’t I compare rates from local Bath agents?
Certain consumers prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is a personal choice. Licensed agents can answer important questions and give you peace of mind. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from small agencies is important especially in Bath.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance data gets sent to agents in your area who will battle for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent directly to your email. Now that’s easy!
The difference between Bath car insurance agents
When finding a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Bath are either independent or captive. Either one can do a good job, but it’s good to learn how they are different since it may influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company but instead can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house without you having to go to a different agency. When comparison shopping, we recommend you contact at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection. Most have the option of insuring with smaller regional carriers which may provide better rates.
Below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Bath that may be able to provide price quote information.
- Midcoast Insurance LLC – 134 Front St – Bath, ME 04530 – (207) 443-8400
- Cross Insurance – 5 Chandler Dr – Bath, ME 04530 – (207) 443-3336
These agents work for only one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Captives cannot compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies are trained well on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers frequently buy from captive agents partially due to the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Listed below is a short list of captive agents in Bath that are able to give rate quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 682 Washington St – Bath, ME 04530 – (207) 443-9720
To view a complete directory of captive agents in Bath, go to this page.
Picking an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
Upon receiving satisfactory answers for all questions you ask and an acceptable price quote, chances are good that you have found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Consumers in Maine can’t ignore all the ads that promise big savings from companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies say the same thing that you can save if you move your policy.
How do they all claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For instance, a driver they prefer might be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no driving citations, and has excellent credit. Any new insured who meets those qualifications will get the preferred rates and as a result will probably save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who are not a match for these standards will be quoted higher prices which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That is how companies can claim big savings.
This emphasizes why drivers must get as many quotes as possible. It’s impossible to know which auto insurance company will have the lowest rates.
One last thing about your coverage
We just showed you many ways to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including unfair underwriting practices, lack of trust in their agent, policy non-renewal and an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
As you shop your coverage around, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where an insured dropped physical damage coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.
Additional information can be found on the Maine Bureau of Insurance website located here. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, find out which companies have the most complaints, and read consumer alerts.