Cutting costs on Olympia auto insurance can seem to be a challenge for consumers not familiar with comparison shopping online. People have so many choices that it can turn into a real hassle to locate the lowest price in Olympia.
It’s a good idea to compare rates every six months because rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the best rates a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So ignore everything you know about auto insurance because it’s time to teach you one of the easiest ways to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Quotes in Olympia
One of the best ways to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This type of form eliminates the need for a different quote for each company you want a rate for. In just a few minutes this one form will return price quotes direct from many companies. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
A more difficult way to compare rate quotes consists of going to the website for each individual company and complete a new quote form. For sake of this example, we’ll assume you want to compare Auto-Owners, State Farm and GEICO. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site and enter your information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Olympia, click here.
Whichever way you use, make absolute certain that you use identical coverage information for each price quote. If you are comparing different deductibles it’s impossible to make a fair comparison in Olympia. Having just a slight variation in limits can make a big difference in price. And when comparing auto insurance rates, know that obtaining a wide range of quotes will enable you to find a lower rate.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but some must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Early Signing – Select companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Paperless Signup – Certain companies will give a small break just for signing your application digitally online.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most cut individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will cut your premiums.
To choose companies with discount auto insurance rates in Olympia, follow this link.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Washington?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Washington?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Tips to Get Lower Olympia Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get better auto insurance rates.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Men fork out a little more – The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Both sexes tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and better occupant protection translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Where you live – Residing in less populated areas can be a good thing when it comes to auto insurance. Fewer people means a lower chance of having an accident. City drivers have to deal with much more traffic to deal with and much longer commute distances. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
- Marriage brings a discount – Being married helps lower the price on auto insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – A bad driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Even one speeding ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than their less careful counterparts. If you have dangerous violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 form with the DMV in their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
Do auto insurance companies bend the truth?
Auto insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm consistently run ads in print and on television. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save if you change to their company. How can each company make almost identical claims?
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that makes them money. An example of a desirable insured might be over the age of 50, has no driving citations, and has excellent credit. A driver that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Consumers who don’t qualify for these standards will be charged a more expensive rate which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much money. That is how companies can state the savings.
That is why you should get a wide range of price quotes. You cannot predict which auto insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
A tidy conclusion
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, high prices, questionable increases in premium and policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be bought online and with local Olympia insurance agents, and you need to price shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Learn more about Washington auto insurance
More information can be found on the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner website. Click here for link. Visitors are able to find a variety of consumer forms, discover disciplinary actions, get help finding coverage, and view agent and company licensing information.