Are you a victim of overpriced auto insurance? Believe me when I say there are a lot of people in Fort Wayne just like you who feel imprisoned by their auto insurance policy.
Multiple car insurance companies compete to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurers and get the definite best price available.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Fort Wayne, Indiana
There are several ways to compare rate quotes and find the best price. The easiest way by far to compare insurance prices is to perform an online rate comparison. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
One of the best ways consumers can make multiple comparisons is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This method eliminates the need for a different quote for each company. One form submission will return price quotes from several companies.
A more difficult way to obtain and compare quotes online requires visiting each individual company website and fill out their own quote form. For instance, we’ll pretend you want rates from Progressive, GEICO and Allstate. You would have to visit each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in Fort Wayne, click here.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just ensure you’re using identical information on every quote. If you have different values for each quote you will not be able to truly determine the lowest rate in Fort Wayne. Just a small difference in coverages may result in large price differences. It’s important to know that having more price comparisons helps you find lower pricing.
Informed Drivers can Cut Their Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the factors that factor into rates.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping your vehicle from being stolen.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage in the event that you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Car insurance companies in Indiana generally give lower rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- Little extras can really add up – There are many extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying when buying auto insurance. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and term life insurance are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Many insurance companies give discounts to insureds who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to 10 percent or more. Even though this discount sounds good, it’s still a good idea to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. You may still find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- Pleasure use saves money – Driving more miles each year the higher your rate. Almost all companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance coverage is showing the proper vehicle usage.
Lots of discounts mean lots of savings
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be specially asked for before they will apply.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can save you money because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Drivers Education – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers pay much less as compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way. But all discounts will reduce the cost of coverage.
To choose companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Fort Wayne, click here.
More effort can pay off
Cost effective auto insurance is definitely available online in addition to many Fort Wayne insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional auto insurance links
Much more information about auto insurance in Indiana is located on the website for the Indiana Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Visitors are able to learn about specific coverages, find a variety of consumer forms, and read industry bulletins.