Are you intimidated by the crazy number of auto insurance company choices in Hammond? Many other consumers are too. People have so many choices that it can quickly become a real hassle to find the best price.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Hammond
There are several ways to compare auto insurance prices and some are less time-consuming than others. You could waste a few hours discussing policy coverages with insurance agencies in Hammond, or you could use the web to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Many companies belong to a marketplace that enables customers to submit their information once, and at least one company returns a rated price determined by their information. This eliminates the need for quote requests to each company.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now click here to open in new window.
One minor caviat to comparing rates this way is that you can’t choose the insurers to receive prices from. So if you want to choose from a list of companies to compare, we have a page of auto insurance companies in Indiana. Click to view list.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to compare the exact same coverage limits on every quote you get. If you compare differing limits you will not be able to make an equal comparison in Hammond.
Save $451 a year. For real?
Indiana drivers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO. All the companies make the same claim that you’ll save big if you switch to them.
But how can every company say the same thing?
Different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them a profit. A good example of a preferred risk could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 50, owns a home, and drives newer vehicles. Any new insured who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t meet the “perfect” profile will be quoted a more expensive rate and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much. This is how insurance companies can claim big savings. This emphasizes why drivers should get as many quotes as possible. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
Save Money with These Tips
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what influences your rates enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
Listed below are some of the items auto insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Having a spouse helps lower the price on auto insurance. Having a significant other translates into being more responsible it has been statistically shown that married couples file fewer claims.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a sure-fire way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will insurance be more expensive, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The most favorable rates are for low performance passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- One company can mean more discounts – Most insurers will award you with lower prices to insureds who consolidate policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to five, ten or even twenty percent. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find better rates by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations such as real estate brokers, architects and stock brokers have the highest rates due to high stress levels and lengthy work days. On the other hand, jobs such as farmers, students and performers get better rates.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Men fork out a little more – Statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Both sexes cause accidents in similar percentages, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Young males are the most expensive to insure and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few extra coverages you can purchase on your policy. Things like rental car reimbursement, better glass coverage and membership fees are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies don’t list all available discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of both well-publicized and the more hidden auto insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Driver Safety – Completing a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- One Accident Forgiven – A few companies permit an accident before your rates go up if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings up to 30%.
- Discount for Good Grades – Getting good grades can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you may save at least 10% off all policies.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To see a list of companies offering auto insurance discounts in Indiana, click here to view.
Compare online but buy from a local Hammond agent
A small number of people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that is a personal choice. Educated insurance agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is you can get lower rates but also keep your business local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your information is submitted to agents in your area who will battle to get your business. You don’t have to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to your email. Now that’s easy!
Picking an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- How long has their agency been in business in Hammond?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
The difference between Hammond insurance agents
If you’re trying to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple different types of agents that you can select. Insurance agencies in Hammond are classified as either independent or captive. Both types can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it may influence your agent selection.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies work for only one company and examples are American Family, Liberty Mutual and AAA. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Captives are well schooled in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy insurance from these agents primarily because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Listed below is a short list of captive agencies in Hammond who can help you get comparison quotes.
- American Family Insurance – 7016 Indianapolis Blvd – Hammond, IN 46324 – (219) 844-1218
- Allstate Insurance – 6707 Indianapolis Blvd – Hammond, IN 46324 – (219) 844-7420
- State Farm Insurance – 6934 Indianapolis Blvd – Hammond, IN 46324 – (219) 845-1571
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which can save you money.
Shown below are Hammond independent insurance agencies that are able to give price quotes.
- Ron J Prestamer Agency – 7207 Indianapolis Blvd # 1 – Hammond, IN 46324 – (219) 844-0103
- Aurora Insurance – 7322 Calumet Ave – Hammond, IN 46324 – (219) 937-4341
- Lauer Agency – 2830 169th St # A – Hammond, IN 46323 – (219) 844-1140
- Tom Hickey Insurance – 5127 S Hohman Ave – Hammond, IN 46320 – (219) 924-1164
To view a complete directory of auto insurance agents in Hammond, please click here.
After getting positive responses to these questions and an acceptable price quote, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that can properly service your auto insurance policy.
More quotes mean more savings
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can lower your auto insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with the least-expected company.
Lower-priced auto insurance can be found from both online companies in addition to many Hammond insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide online price quotes and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
Consumers who switch companies do it for many reasons like being labeled a high risk driver, delays in responding to claim requests, high rates after DUI convictions or even policy cancellation. Whatever your reason, finding a new company can be less work than you think.
More detailed Indiana auto insurance information is available at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to view a list of available companies, find disaster information, discover disciplinary actions, and download brochures.