I can’t think of a single person who looks forward to buying auto insurance, particularly when they are paying too much. Consumers have many car insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have multiple companies, lots of choices makes it harder to find the best rates.
Be sure to get all your discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be inquired about before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts of more than 20%.
- Organization Discounts – Belonging to certain professional organizations may earn a discount when buying auto insurance.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- Anti-theft Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Student Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of providers offering auto insurance discounts in Newtown, click here to view.
Tips to Get Lower Newtown Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that help determine auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower auto insurance prices.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Deductibles for physical damage define the amount you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, or theft. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The make and model of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates are usually for small economy passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your auto insurance policy. Marriage usually means you are more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Your location is important – Living in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages when talking about auto insurance. Urban drivers have to deal with congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Both sexes are in accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage. Men also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving. Young males are the most expensive to insure and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
A small number of people just want to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help you file claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local agencies is definitely important in Newtown.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is submitted to agents in your area who will compete to get your business. There is no reason to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
When researching local Newtown agents, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents to choose from. Newtown agents are categorized either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning how they differ because it can impact the type of agent you choose
These agents are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies. When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent agents in Newtown willing to provide price quote information.
Thomas G Sheehan Agency – 19 Church Hill Rd – Newtown, CT 06470 – (203) 426-6795
Preferred Insurance Svc – 87 S Main St – Newtown, CT 06470 – (203) 270-9500
Calander Insurance – 49 Appleblossom Ln – Newtown, CT 06470 – (203) 270-3974
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents are contracted to one company such as American Family, Liberty Mutual and AAA. Captives cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
The following are captive agents in Newtown who can help you get price quote information.
Allstate Insurance – 103 S Main St # 3 – Newtown, CT 06470 – (203) 426-8080
To view a full list of captive insurance agencies in Newtown, click here to link.
Picking an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How long has their agency been in business in Newtown?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Upon getting satisfactory answers to all your questions as well as a affordable price, it’s possible that you found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to service your policy.
For more Connecticut auto insurance information
Additional information is located on the website for the Connecticut Insurance Department. Click here for link. Connecticut consumers can find disaster information, find out which companies have the most complaints, view agent and company licensing information, and download brochures.
More comparisons equals lower rates
In this article, we presented many tips how you can reduce auto insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the lowest rates come from an unexpected company. These companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
Discount auto insurance is available online as well as from independent agents in Newtown, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.