If shopping for auto insurance online is new to you, you may be confused by the sheer number of auto insurance companies all offering big savings in Old Town.
If you have insurance now or are just looking to switch companies, you will benefit by learning to find the best rates and still get good coverage. Finding the lowest cost protection in Old Town is simple if you know the tricks. Maine vehicle owners only need to know the proper methods to shop online.
Rate influencing factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few add-on coverages that can waste your money if you aren’t careful. Coverages like roadside assistance, accident forgiveness and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem good at first, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- Clean credit earns discounts – Credit score is a huge factor in your rate calculation. If your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could pay less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers with poor credit.
- Where you live – Living in less populated areas can be a good thing when talking about auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have much more traffic and longer commute times. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, this does not mean men are worse drivers. They both cause accidents in similar numbers, but the men have costlier accidents. Men also statistically receive more costly citations such as reckless driving. Young males are most likely to cause an accident and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Mature drivers are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Youthful drivers are known to be more careless in a vehicle therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Whether or not you get tickets has a huge affect on how much you pay. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Even a single moving violation may increase your cost by twenty percent. Drivers with severe tickets such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Low Cost Old Town Auto Insurance
Effectively comparing auto insurance prices can take time and effort if you don’t understand the easiest way. You can waste hours talking to insurance agencies in Old Town, or you could save time and use the web to get the quickest rates.
Most car insurance companies belong to an insurance system where insurance shoppers send in one quote, and each participating company can give them a price based on that data. This prevents consumers from doing quote requests to every company.
To access this free quoting program, click here to start a free quote.
The one disadvantage to using this type of form is you cannot specify which carriers you will receive quotes from. So if you prefer to choose from a list of companies to receive pricing from, we have a page of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Maine. Click here for list of insurance companies in Maine.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just compare exactly the same quote information with each company. If you are comparing differing limits it will be impossible to make an equal comparison in Old Town.
Don’t pay full price with these discounts
Car insurance companies do not list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down both well-publicized as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for auto insurance.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver’s ed class in school.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- Accident Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially as compared to frequent claim filers.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags may earn rate discounts of more than 20%.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in Old Town, click here to view.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Maine Bureau of Insurance website. Maine consumers can find disaster information, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and get help finding coverage.
Quote more, save more
Cost effective auto insurance can be found both online as well as from independent agents in Old Town, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies don’t offer online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as being labeled a high risk driver, high prices, poor customer service and an unsatisfactory settlement offer. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a great new company can be easier than you think.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.