Overpriced car insurance can take a big chunk out of your personal savings and force you to prioritize other expenses. Comparison shopping is a smart way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket.
Big companies like Progressive, GEICO and Farmers Insurance constantly bombard you with ads and it is challenging if not impossible to separate fact from fiction and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s smart to shop coverage around before your policy renews since rates are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you found the lowest rates six months ago you will most likely find a better rate today. So just forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re going to learn one of the quickest ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using this information. Finding the best rates in Hazleton is not that difficult. Nevertheless, Pennsylvania vehicle owners do need to understand how big insurance companies market on the web and apply this information to your search.
How your Hazleton rates are determined
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
The following are some of the items that factor into rates.
- Don’t skimp on liability – The liability section of your policy provides coverage when a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- High credit ratings translate to low rates – Having a bad credit score is a huge factor in calculating your car insurance rates. So if your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could pay less to insure your by improving your credit score. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than those with poor credit.
- Rural vs Urban Areas – Choosing to live in a small town can save you money when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated Pennsylvania areas regularly have traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Better crash test results mean better rates – Vehicles with high crash test scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Careers like real estate brokers, architects and accountants are shown to have higher rates than average because of stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, jobs such as pilots, athletes and retirees pay the least.
- Being married is a good thing – Being married actually saves money when buying car insurance. Having a spouse means you’re more responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The type of car you drive makes a significant difference in how high your rates are. Small economy passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Comprehensive Hazleton Car Insurance Comparison Quotes
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes from different in Hazleton, Pennsylvaniainsurance companies. One of the best ways to compare insurance prices is to perform an online rate comparison. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The easiest and least time consuming way to find the lowest comparison rates is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This easy form prevents you from having to do a different quote for each company. One form will get you price quotes from several companies.
- Another way to obtain and compare quotes online is to manually visit the website for each individual company and request a quote. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want to compare rates from Allstate, 21st Century and Liberty Mutual. To find out each rate you need to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Hazleton, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but ensure you’re using exactly the same coverages and limits for every company. If your comparisons have different deductibles it will be very difficult to determine the lowest rate in Hazleton. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages can mean a large discrepancy in price. It’s important to know that quoting more helps you find lower pricing.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-77.jpg" alt="Hazleton PA car insurance prices” />
Do drivers who switch really save?
Car insurance providers like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive regularly use television and radio advertisements. They all make the same claim of big savings if you move to them. How can each company make almost identical claims? This is how they do it.
All companies are able to cherry pick for the right customer that is profitable for them. A good example of a profitable customer could be between the ages of 30 and 50, is a homeowner, and has great credit. Any new insured who fits that profile receives the best rates and therefore will save when switching.
Potential insureds who fall outside this ideal profile will have to pay higher rates which leads to business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. That’s why insurance companies can make the claims of big savings.
Because of the profiling, drivers must compare as many rates as you can. It’s not possible to predict the company that will fit your personal profile best.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you purchase, but some must be asked for in order for you to get them.
- College Student – Kids in college who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Senior Discount – If you’re over the age of 55, you may be able to get reduced rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you could save up to 5%.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a home in Hazleton may trigger a car insurance policy discount because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags can get savings of 20% or more.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts in Hazleton, click this link.
Is my situation unique?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional car insurance information can be found on the website for the Pennsylvania Insurance Department found here. Pennsylvania drivers can view a list of available companies, learn about insurance regulations, view agent and company licensing information, and learn about specific coverages.
More quotes mean more savings
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice full coverage only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price.
Cheaper car insurance is possible from both online companies in addition to many Hazleton insurance agents, so compare prices from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who do not provide online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.