If you are a novice to online car insurance shopping, it’s easy to be confused by the sheer number of car insurance companies vying for business in Lawrence.
It’s a good idea to price shop coverage occasionally because prices change frequently. Even if you think you had the best price a couple years back you can probably find a better price now. There is too much inaccurate information about car insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some proven techniques to buy car insurance cheaper.
If you have insurance now or need a new policy, you can use these tips to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. This article will familiarize you with the best way to quote coverages and some tricks to saving. Indiana drivers only need to know the most effective way to compare rates online.
Lawrence Car Insurance Quote Comparison
Most companies quote pricing on their websites. Getting online rates doesn’t take much effort as you just type in your coverage preferences into a form. After the form is submitted, their rating system requests your credit score and driving record and returns a price determined by many factors.
Online price quotes makes it a lot easier to compare rates but having to visit a lot of sites and fill out multiple forms is repetitive and time-consuming. But it’s absolutely necessary to do this if you want to find better car insurance pricing.
A less time-consuming method to lower your rates is to use a quote form to get prices from more than one company. The form is fast, requires much less work on your part, and makes price shopping online much easier to do. After sending the form, it is rated and you are able to buy any of the quote results. If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, you can simply submit the application and buy the policy. The entire process takes just a few minutes to complete and you’ll know if lower rates are available.
To save time and use this form to compare rates, click here to open in a new tab and submit your coverage information. To compare your current rates, we recommend you replicate the coverage information identical to your current policy. This guarantees you will be getting a price comparison based on the exact same insurance coverage.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t necessarily list all their discounts very well, so we took the time to find both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are throwing money away.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you may save up to 20% off your total premium.
- Accident Forgiveness – Some insurance companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get reduced rates.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Payment Method – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Claim Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less compared to frequent claim filers.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few companies offer discounts for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates you could get a free car insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
To choose companies with discount car insurance rates in Indiana, follow this link.
When should I talk to an agent?
When buying proper insurance coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For instance, these questions can help discover whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Why you might pay higher rates in Lawrence
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with better car insurance rates.
The following are some of the items that factor into rates.
- Marriage brings a discount – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your policy. Having a spouse translates into being more responsible and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- More claims means more premium – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Car insurance companies in Indiana award cheaper rates to insureds who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended for larger claims.
- How your age affects price – Teenage drivers in Indiana have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates. Parents adding a youthful driver onto a policy can be quite pricey. More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are a lot of additional coverages you can purchase on your car insurance policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage and term life insurance are some examples. These coverages may sound good at first, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Liability coverage protects you – The liability section of your policy is the protection when a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Traffic citations inflate rates – Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Only having one moving violation can bump up the cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who have flagrant citations such as DUI or reckless driving may need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Occupations like doctors, social workers and dentists are shown to have the highest average rates in part from high stress and lengthy work days. Other occupations such as farmers, historians and the unemployed pay the least.
Save $455 a year. For real?
Consumers can’t ignore all the ads for car insurance savings from companies such as State Farm and Allstate. They all say the same thing of big savings if you move your policy.
How can each company make the same claim?
All companies can use profiling for the driver that makes them money. For instance, a driver they prefer might be profiled as over the age of 50, insures multiple vehicles, and has a high credit rating. Any driver who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and therefore will save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t meet this ideal profile will have to pay a higher premium and ends up with the customer not buying. Company advertisements say “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that kind of money. This is how companies can make the claims of big savings. Because of the profiling, drivers must get a wide range of price quotes. It’s impossible to know the company that will give you the biggest savings.
Affordable insurance is out there
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, being labeled a high risk driver, unfair underwriting practices and even not issuing a premium refund. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company is actually quite simple.
When buying insurance coverage, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
We just presented many ways to lower your car insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies.
Learn more about car insurance in Indiana
Even more information can be read at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Indiana drivers can learn about specific coverages, find out industry alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.
The articles below may also help you learn more about car insurance in Lawrence