Nobody cherishes buying car insurance, especially when the price is too high.
There is such a variety of insurers to insure vehicles with, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, too many choices makes it more difficult to find the lowest cost provider.
Consumers should take time to check car insurance prices periodically because insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you found the best deal on your last policy you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out how to quote online to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
Finding affordable coverage in New York is easy if you know what you’re doing. Essentially anyone who is required by state law to have car insurance should be able to lower their premiums. But New York consumers must comprehend how insurance companies compete online and use this information to your advantage.
Quick New York Car Insurance Quotes
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing price quotes from local in New Yorkcar insurance companies. The easiest way by far to find the cheapest insurance rates is to get quotes online. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
The easiest and least time consuming way consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This method keeps you from doing separate quotation requests for every car insurance company. Filling out one form will return price quotes from all major companies.
Another way to get comparison quotes is to take the time to go to each individual company website and complete a new quote form. For examples sake, let’s say you want comparison quotes from Liberty Mutual, Geico and Allstate. You would have to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in New York, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but double check that you are using apples-to-apples coverage limits for each price quote. If you are comparing mixed coverages it’s impossible to determine the best price in New York. Quoting even small variations in coverage limits can make a big difference in price. It’s important to know that having more price comparisons provides better odds of finding a lower rate.
Make smart decisions and save
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- The more you drive the more you pay – Driving more miles in a year the higher your rate. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos left parked in the garage get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your car insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few add-on coverages you can purchase if you aren’t careful. Insurance for rental car reimbursement, better glass coverage and term life insurance are some examples. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Insurance companies in New York generally give discounts to insureds who are claim-free. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance coverage is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Marriage pays dividends – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every available discount very well, so here is a list some of the best known and the more hidden car insurance savings.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Senior Citizens – If you’re over the age of 55, you can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- New Car Discount – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Braking Control Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a defensive driving course could save 5% or more if your company offers it.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can pay as much as 50% less than less cautious drivers.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Student Driver Training – Have your child enroll in driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A little work can save a LOT of money
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Low-cost car insurance can be bought both online and with local New York insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies sell through independent agents.
Even more information is available at the New York Department of Financial Services website. Consumers can read state legal mandates and laws, find a variety of consumer forms, and find disaster information.