If shopping for car insurance online is new to you, it’s easy to be confused by the vast number of companies offering insurance in Philadelphia.
Consumers need to price shop coverage occasionally because prices fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the best rates a year ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Starting now, forget all the misinformation about car insurance because we’re going to show you the quickest way to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Pricing the cheapest car insurance coverage in Philadelphia is simple if you know the tricks. If you are insured now or need new coverage, you can use this information to find the best rates while maintaining coverages. Pennsylvania drivers just need to know the proper methods to shop online.
Philadelphia Car Insurance Comparisons
Comparing car insurance rates can be a lot of work if you don’t understand the fastest way to get free quotes. You could spend the better part of a day driving to local insurance agents in Philadelphia, or you can utilize the web for quick rates.
All the larger companies participate in an industry program where prospective buyers submit their information once, and each participating company provides a quote for coverage. This saves time by eliminating form submissions to every company.
To get comparison pricing now click here (opens in new window).
The one disadvantage to comparing rates this way is that consumers can’t choose the insurers you will receive quotes from. So if you prefer to choose individual companies to compare prices, we have a listing of low cost car insurance companies in Pennsylvania. Click to view list.
However you get your quotes, make absolute certain that you use exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits on every quote. If you enter mixed coverages it’s not possible to find the best deal in Philadelphia.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you can get discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some trigger automatically when you complete an application, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before you get the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military can result in better rates.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
- Government Employees – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Clubs and Organizations – Affiliation with certain professional organizations may earn a discount when shopping for car insurance.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give better rates if you take out auto and life insurance together.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids who are attending college without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Save with a New Car – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Driver Safety – Taking a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more if your company offers it.
It’s important to note that many deductions do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
To see a list of providers who offer car insurance discounts in Pennsylvania, click here.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-45.jpg" alt="Pennsylvania insurance quotes” />
Won’t my local insurance agent miss me?
A small number of people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! Agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. The best thing about price shopping on the web is you may find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for local insurance agencies is important especially in Philadelphia.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, the coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Philadelphia who will compete for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to leave your computer since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. How’s that for easy!
Types of insurance agents
When searching for an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Philadelphia are classified as either captive or independent. Both insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn the differences since it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to find a new agent. When shopping rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.Many can place coverage with lesser-known insurance companies who may have lower rates.
Below is a list of independent agents in Philadelphia who can help you get price quotes.
- Progressive Insurance Co – 143 E Roosevelt Blvd – Philadelphia, PA 19120 – (215) 457-4995
- Wade and Miller Agency – 1624 E Wadsworth Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19150 – (215) 247-2900
- Heierbacher Agency – 9910 Frankford Ave # 210 – Philadelphia, PA 19114 – (215) 824-0600
- Omni Insurance and Auto Tags – 5736 Rising Sun Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19120 – (215) 342-7616
- Mc Hugh-Young Agency – 7952 Oxford Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19111 – (215) 722-8808
Captive agents are contracted to one company such as AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. Captives receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Consumers often choose to use a captive agent partially due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
Below is a list of captive insurance agents in Philadelphia that can give you comparison quotes.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 150 S Indepence Mall W # 500 – Philadelphia, PA 19106 – (215) 627-3087
- State Farm Insurance – 7348 Frankford Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19136 – (215) 333-5100
- Allstate Insurance – 9967 Bustleton Ave – Philadelphia, PA 19115 – (215) 673-3300
For a complete listing of Philadelphia captive agencies, go to this page.
Deciding on an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction and an affordable coverage quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that will properly insure your vehicles.
Factors that affect insurance rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that can help you get better car insurance rates.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Liability insurance provides coverage if you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time.Then you may be required to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Pennsylvania motor vehicle department.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. These vehicles result in less severe injuries and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
- With age comes lower rates – Youthful drivers in Pennsylvania are known to be less responsible behind the wheel so they pay higher car insurance rates. Adding a teen driver to your car insurance policy can break the bank. Older drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- Small claims can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can definitely plan on either higher rates or even cancellation. Insurance companies in Pennsylvania give cheaper rates to people who are claim-free. Car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
A tidy conclusion
Drivers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, poor customer service, delays in paying claims or extreme rates for teen drivers. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, drivers have reduced full coverage to discover at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Cheaper car insurance can be found both online and also from your neighborhood Philadelphia agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not provide online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Additional information can be found on the Pennsylvania Insurance Department website. Click here for link. Consumers can get help finding coverage, view agent and company licensing information, and read consumer alerts.
More related Philadelphia car insurance information: