Do you get overwhelmed by the crazy number of car insurance choices available to you? There are so many choices to choose from that it can be a real hassle to find a cheaper company. Lots of people think Plainfield is a great city to raise a family in, but expensive car insurance can make it hard to buy full coverage.
It’s a good habit to do price comparisons occasionally since insurance rates go up and down regularly. Just because you found the lowest premium rates last year there is a good chance you can find better prices now. There are a lot of ways to save on car insurance on the internet, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn a bunch of ideas how to slash your car insurance rates.
When looking for , there are a couple ways to compare rate quotes from many different Illinois insurance companies. The best method to find the lowest rates consists of shopping online. This is quite simple and can be completed using a couple different methods.
The best way to find the lowest comparison rates is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form saves time by eliminating separate quotation requests for each company you want a rate for. One quote request gets you coverage quotes from several companies. Just one form and you’re done.
A more difficult way to get comparison quotes requires you to visit each company website and go through the quote process again. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want to get rates from USAA, Progressive and Travelers. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site and repeatedly type in your coverage information, which is why first method is reommended. To view a list of companies in Plainfield, click here.
You can choose any of those ways to find more affodable coverage, but do your best to use equivalent coverage information for every company. If you enter different liability limits it’s impossible to determine the lowest rate in Plainfield. Even a minor difference in limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. And when comparing car insurance rates, know that more quotes increases your odds of finding the best rates. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide online price quotes, so you also need to get price estimates from them, too.
Is there truth in advertising?
Respected companies like Progressive, Allstate and Geico consistently run television and radio advertisements. All the ads try to convey promises that you can save if you get a free and switch to their company. How is it plausible that every one can claim to save you money? Here is how they do it.
Different companies quote their cheapest rates for the type of customer that will not have excessive claims. For instance, a profitable insured should be over the age of 50, has a low-risk occupation, and has excellent credit. A customer getting a price quote that fits those parameters will most likely get cheap prices and have a good chance to save a lot if they switch.
Potential customers who are not a match for these stringent criteria must pay more expensive rates and this results in the prospect going elsewhere. The ads say “customers that switch” not “all people who quote” save that kind of money. That is how companies can truthfully lure you into getting a quote.
This really illustrates why you really should compare rate quotes every year. It is just not possible to predict the company that will have the best prices at this point in time.
Get cheap rates by understanding these factors
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can earn you much lower annual insurance costs. Many factors are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but others are more obscure like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
Shown below are some of the items used by insurance companies to determine your premiums.
- Does your occupation cost you more? – Occupational choices like real estate brokers, social workers and miners tend to pay higher premiums than the average policyholder due to high stress and extremely grueling work hours. Other occupations like actors, students and performers receive lower rates.
- Mature drivers pay less – Older, more experienced drivers are shown to be more cautious, cost insurance companies less in claims and receive fewer citations.Teen drivers are proven to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Avoid car insurance lapses – Driving your car without having proper coverage is not a good idea and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a steep fine or even jail time. You may then have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Illinois motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Being married equates to better premiums – Having a significant other may earn you lower rates on car insurance. Marriage may mean you are more stable financially and it’s proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- You might want pay the minor insurance claims yourself – If you frequently file small claims, don’t be surprised to see either higher rates or even cancellation. Auto insurance companies in Illinois award the lowest premiums to insureds who file claims infrequently. Your car insurance is designed for more catestrophic claims.
- Save money by having responsible credit – Having a bad credit history will be a significant factor in determining your rates. People that have excellent credit tend to be more responsible than drivers who have lower credit scores. If your credit can be improved, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by improving your rating.
Car insurance companies offer lots of discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might be missing out on some discounts to help bring down the price. Some of these disounts will be visible at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be requested specifically before being credited. If you do not double check each discount you qualify for, you are throwing money away.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount may save as much as 25% on a . The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Sign Early and Save – Some larger companies provide a discount for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags can receive discounts of 25 to 30%.
- New Car Discount – Putting car insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed in the military could mean lower premium rates.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
Popular car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- Travelers offers discounts including good student, continuous insurance, save driver, hybrid/electric vehicle, and student away at school.
- 21st Century includes discounts for defensive driver, homeowners, theft prevention, early bird, air bags, student driver, and teen driver.
- State Farm has savings for good student, multiple autos, student away at school, safe vehicle, anti-theft, and Drive Safe & Save.
- Geico policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, federal employee, multi-policy, emergency military deployment, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO has discounts for teen safety rewards, multi-car, teen safe driver, homeowner, bundle discounts, and anti-lock brakes.
- AAA may offer discounts for AAA membership discount, good driver, good student, multi-car, and anti-theft.
If you are trying to find , ask each company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. If you would like to view companies with significant discounts in Illinois, click this link.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you may require specific advice.
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Illinois?
- What are the financial responsibility laws in Illinois?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Cheaper coverage is out there
Consumers switch companies for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, not issuing a premium refund, unfair underwriting practices and even delays in paying claims. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding a new company is easier than you think.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s not a good idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price while still protecting your assets.
Affordable car insurance can be purchased both online and from local insurance agents, so you need to with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some car insurance companies do not provide price quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies only sell through independent agents.
Learn more about car insurance in Illinois
Much more information about car insurance in Illinois can be found on the Illinois Department of Insurance website through this link. Illinois drivers can find disaster information, learn about specific coverages, find out which companies have the most complaints, and read consumer alerts.
These articles may also be worth reading.