Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can take a big chunk out of your checking account and force you to make sacrifices. Comparison shopping is a smart way to slash your bill and have more diposable income. Many auto insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurers to find the best price available.
It’s a good habit to check car insurance prices once or twice a year since rates change frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price a year ago there may be better deals available now. Starting right now, block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in one of the easiest ways to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
If you are insured now or need new coverage, you will benefit by learning to find the best rates and possibly find even better coverage. Finding affordable coverage in Point Pleasant is not rocket science. West Virginia consumers just need to know the most efficient way to shop their coverage around online.
How to Buy Point Pleasant Car Insurance Online
Finding a lower price on insurance can be quick and easy. All you need to do is take time getting comparison quotes from different insurance companies. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The recommended way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This form keeps you from doing boring form submissions to each individual car insurance company. Filling out one form will return quotes from many national carriers.
- A more time consuming way to get comparison quotes requires you to visit each company website to complete a price quote. For example, let’s say you want comparison quotes from USAA, State Farm and Progressive. You would have to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Point Pleasant, click here.
- The least efficient method to compare rates is to spend your day driving to local Point Pleasant insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you prefer the professional guidance of a licensed agent. You can, however, find lower rates online but buy from a local insurance agent.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but ensure you’re using the exact same information for each price quote. If the quotes have different values for each quote it’s impossible to make an equal comparison in Point Pleasant.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some trigger automatically when you purchase, but a few need to be specially asked for before they will apply. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- College Student – Youth drivers who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your premiums.
Tips to Get Lower Point Pleasant Rates
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
The following are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate prices.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance of the vehicle you own makes a big difference in your rates. The lowest base rates tend to be for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Jobs such as real estate brokers, architects and accountants have higher rates than average in part from high stress levels and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, occupations such as actors, athletes and retirees get better rates.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The more miles you rack up on your car in a year’s time the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers apply a rate based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage qualify for better rates than those used for commuting. Verify your car insurance policy shows how each vehicle is driven.
- Traffic citations inflate rates – Even one speeding ticket can increase rates twenty percent or more. Good drivers receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Many insurers will award you with lower prices to customers who consolidate policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can be five, ten or even twenty percent. Even with this discount, you still need to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Discounts for married couples – Being married helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. Having a significant other translates into being more mature and responsible and statistics show drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Liability coverage is the protection in the event that you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability is cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
Are insurance agents obsolete?
Certain consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent. Insurance agents can answer important questions and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is especially important in Point Pleasant.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Point Pleasant who will return price quotes to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy!
Not all auto insurance agents are the same
If you’re trying to find local Point Pleasant agents, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Agents are categorized either independent or captive. Both do a good job, but it’s good to learn the differences because it can impact the type of agent you choose
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you are not satisfied with one company, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When shopping rates, you should always get quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Point Pleasant that can give you price quotes.
Village Insurance Inc – 2118 Jefferson Ave – Point Pleasant, WV 25550 – (304) 675-2739
Mason County Insurance Inc – 1506 Jefferson Blvd – Point Pleasant, WV 25550 – (304) 675-4067
Captive agencies can only write with one company like AAA, Allstate and State Farm. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agencies receive extensive training in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Listed below are captive agents in Point Pleasant that are able to give price quote information.
West Virginia State Farm – Fairground Rd – Point Pleasant, WV 25550 – (304) 675-5737
For a full directory of captive agents in Point Pleasant, please go to this site.
Deciding on a car insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How are claims handled?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
Once you have received good answers and an affordable coverage quote, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that will service your policy.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Much more information about car insurance in West Virginia is located on the website for the West Virginia Insurance Commission found here. West Virginia drivers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, file complaints about a company, discover disciplinary actions, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
We just covered a lot of tips how to lower your car insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. They may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to find out that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The proper strategy is to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.