Are you overwhelmed by the crazy number of car insurance companies in Somerville? You have a lot of company. People have so many options that it can easily become a lot of work to find lower rates.
The purpose of this article is to familiarize you with how to get online quotes and some tips to save money. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using this strategy. Massachusetts drivers just need to learn the tricks to compare prices on the web.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but some must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. The savings is around 10%.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a home in Somerville may earn you a small savings because owning a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies will give a small break for buying your policy digitally online.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to complete a driver education course if offered at their school.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way. But any discount will cut the amount you have to pay.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
Shown below are some of the factors used by your company to calculate prices.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – Older drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Young drivers tend to be more careless behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Keep rates low by being claim-free – Insurance companies in Massachusetts generally give discounts to people who file claims infrequently. If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage in the event that you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not skimp.
- Marriage brings a discount – Being married helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. It usually means you are more responsible it has been statistically shown that being married results in fewer claims.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Jobs such as judges, executives and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates because of high stress levels and long work days. On the other hand, occupations like pilots, students and performers receive lower rates.
Online resources for education
Additional car insurance information can be found on the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website found here. Massachusetts drivers can read industry bulletins, find out which companies have the most complaints, and get help finding coverage.
Cost effective car insurance is available from both online companies in addition to many Somerville insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
Insureds leave their current company for a variety of reasons including delays in responding to claim requests, poor customer service, being labeled a high risk driver or high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
In this article, we presented many ways to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers could even find that the lowest premiums are with an unexpected company.