Are you a victim of an overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, you’re not the only one.
Since consumers have many options, it can be hard to pick the right car insurance company.
Take advantage of discounts
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but companies offer discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be applied when you purchase, but a few must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Discount for New Cars – Putting insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents pay much less when compared to bad drivers.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a course teaching defensive driving skills could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. But all discounts will cut your overall premium however.
For a list of companies offering car insurance discounts in Plentywood, click here.
How to know if you need help
When choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether you may require specific advice.
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Why am I required to get a high-risk car insurance policy?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Additional information can be found on the website for the Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance found here. Visitors are able to read enforcement actions against agents and companies, view agent and company licensing information, view a list of available companies, and file complaints about a company.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of techniques to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the most savings is with some of the smallest insurance companies. Smaller companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
When shopping online for car insurance, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later that it was a big mistake. The ultimate goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.