Expensive car insurance can overdraw your savings account, especially in this economy. Doing a price comparison is a smart way to lower your monthly bill.
You have so many car insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, lots of choices makes it harder to compare rates and find the lowest cost car insurance.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in West Des Moines
There are several ways to compare car insurance quotes, but some are less time-consuming than others. You can spend countless hours discussing policy coverages with insurance agencies in West Des Moines, or you could save time and use the internet for quick rates.
Most major companies belong to an insurance system that allows shoppers to submit their information once, and every company provides a quote based on the submitted data. This eliminates the need for quote requests for each company. To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click to open in new window.
The one downside to getting quotes like this is buyers cannot specifically choose which carriers to get quotes from. So if you prefer to pick individual companies to compare rates, we have assembled a list of car insurance companies in Iowa. Click here to view list.
Whichever way you use, make absolute certain that you use apples-to-apples information for every quote you compare. If you enter mixed coverages then you won’t be able to determine which rate is truly the best in West Des Moines. Slightly different coverages can make a big difference in price. Just remember that comparing a large number of companies will enable you to find better pricing.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may find discounts to cut the cost considerably. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- E-sign – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up online.
- Accident Forgiveness – A few companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- No Accidents – Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay less when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a course teaching defensive driving skills could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
Drivers should understand that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way. But all discounts will reduce the cost of coverage.
To see a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in West Des Moines, click here.
Components of your insurance rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels enables informed choices that can help you get better car insurance rates.
Shown below are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Do you know your deductibles? – Your deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, collision with an animal, and rolling your vehicle. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- No coverage gaps is important – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a quick way to pay more for car insurance. Not only will rates go up, but not being able to provide proof of insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.You may have to file a SR-22 with the Iowa motor vehicle department.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Liability coverage provides coverage if ever you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy on your policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and term life insurance are some examples. These coverages may sound good initially, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Do you qualify for a multi-policy discount? – Most car insurance companies will give a discount to policyholders who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more you drive in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies apply a rate based on their usage. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your car insurance policy shows the correct driver usage.
- Rates may be lower depending on your job – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for car insurance? Occupations such as judges, executives and financial analysts have higher average rates attributed to job stress and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations like actors, engineers and homemakers get better rates.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent your car from being stolen.
Additional information can be read on the website for the Iowa Insurance Division. Click here for link. Iowa consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view agent and company licensing information, and read state legal mandates and laws.
Best coverage at the best price
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
Cheap car insurance is possible from both online companies in addition to many West Des Moines insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers do not provide online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.