Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can dwindle your bank account and force you to prioritize other expenses. Shopping your coverage around is a great way to reduce premiums and put more money in your pocket. Since consumers have many car insurance companies to choose from, it can be diffult for consumers to pick the lowest cost provider.
Consumers should take time to price shop coverage yearly due to the fact that insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the lowest price a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Starting now, forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because we’re going to show you the quickest way to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you file claims often, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance companies in Nebraska award better rates to drivers who file claims infrequently. Auto insurance is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- High deductibles save money – Your deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered are colliding with a building, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Males pay more for insurance – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women have accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage. They also have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are the most expensive to insure and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability insurance is the protection when a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide for a legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Equipment add-ons that lower car insurance rates – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Jobs such as real estate brokers, social workers and dentists tend to have the highest average rates in part from high stress and long work hours. Other jobs such as scientists, historians and homemakers receive lower rates.
- Performance level impacts rates – The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in determining your rates. Small economy passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
Compare Ralston Car Insurance Costs
Performing a rate comparison can be exhausting if you don’t know the most efficient way to do it. You could spend your day talking about coverages with insurance companies in Ralston, or you can utilize online quoting to get pricing more quickly.
Most major companies belong to a marketplace that allows shoppers to enter their coverage request one time, and at least one company returns a rated price for coverage. This saves time by eliminating form submissions for each company you want a rate for.
To enter your information into the quoting system, click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to using this type of form is you are unable to specify which companies you want to price. If you prefer to choose from a list of companies to compare, we have a listing of car insurance companies in Nebraska. Click here to view list.
However you get your quotes, ensure you are comparing exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits for each price quote. If you compare different values for each quote it will be very difficult to decipher which rate is best in Ralston.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Companies don’t always publicize all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to certain professional organizations could trigger savings when buying car insurance.
- Accident Forgiveness – A few companies will allow you to have one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts when compared to bad drivers.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new car is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles could qualify for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So despite the fact that it appears adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck.
What about my local Ralston agents?
A small number of people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! Agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents who will compete for your insurance coverage. You won’t need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. How cool is that?!
Selecting an insurance company should depend on more than just a low price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When finding a reliable agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents from which to choose. Agencies in Ralston can either be captive or independent (non-captive). While both can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning how they are different because it can impact the type of agent you choose
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies are contracted to one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Listed below is a short list of captive insurance agents in Ralston that can give you comparison quotes.
Shelter Insurance – 7905 L St # 220 – Ralston, NE 68127 – (402) 331-0610
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparing rates, it’s recommended you contact at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Ralston who can help you get price quote information.
National Insurance Svc – 7905 L St – Ralston, NE 68127 – (402) 592-1303
Ralston Insurance Inc – 7608 Park Dr – Ralston, NE 68127 – (402) 331-6767
To view a complete directory of insurance agents in Ralston, please view this page.
Once you have received positive responses to these questions and an acceptable price quote, most likely you have located an insurance agent that meets your needs to properly insure your vehicles.
When might I need an agent?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions may help highlight if your situation may require specific advice.
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Even more information can be read at the Nebraska Department of Insurance website. Nebraska consumers can download brochures, report car insurance fraud, and find a variety of consumer forms.
Affordable insurance is out there
When shopping online for car insurance, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice full coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy enough coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
You just read a lot of information how to lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may discover the best price on car insurance is with the least-expected company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.