If shopping for is new to you, it’s easy to be bewildered by the diversity local agents and online companies offering insurance in Sanford.
It’s a good habit to compare prices periodically because prices change frequently. If you had the lowest rates at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because I’m going to teach you one of the best ways to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Why your rate might be higher
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the things that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that may reward you with lower car insurance prices.
- Being married is a good thing – Having a significant other may cut your premiums when buying car insurance. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Age of drivers – More experienced drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims , and usually have better credit.Youthful drivers are proven to get distracted easily when driving and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Bundle home and auto and save – Most major car insurance companies will award a discount to buyers who buy several policies from them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates. You may still save more without the discount even if you have your coverage with different companies
- Your occupation and car insurance rates – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupational choices like military generals, social workers and emergency personnel tend to pay higher rates than average because of stressful work requirements and lots of time spent away from family. On the other hand, careers like actors, students and retirees receive lower rates.
- Prevent theft and save – Selecting a car model with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Liability coverage is critical – Your car insurance policy’s liability coverage provides coverage if a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. This coverage provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- More annual miles equals more premium – The more miles you rack up on your car in a year the more you’ll pay to insure it. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage partially by how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that do not get driven very much qualify for better rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. It’s a good idea to make sure your car insurance policy shows the proper vehicle usage.
- High credit rating translates to low costs – Credit history will be a significant factor in determining your rates. So if your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by repairing your credit. People with excellent credit tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower credit scores.
These discounts can lower car insurance rates
Some insurance providers don’t list their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the following list contains a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying a new car model can save you some money since new vehicles are generally safer.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could mean lower car insurance rates.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of qualifying clubs or civic groups can get you a small discount when getting a .
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their than less cautious drivers.
- Data Collection Discounts – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to analyze their driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Participating in a defensive driving class is a good idea and can lower rates depending on where you live.
- Renewal Discounts – Some car insurance companies provide a discount for switching companies before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
One thing to note about discounts is that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
For a list of companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Florida, click here.
Comparing prices from local Sanford insurance agents
Certain consumers just prefer to get advice from a local agent. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get better rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this quick form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Sanford who will give you quotes to get your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you directly. You can get cheaper car insurance rates without a big time investment. If you need to compare rates from a particular provider, you can always go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
Selecting a insurance company requires you to look at more than just the price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- How long has their agency been in business in Sanford?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
If you’re trying to find a reputable agency, there are a couple of types of agencies to choose from. Sanford agents are either independent or captive depending on the company they work for.
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates and examples are State Farm or Allstate. Captives cannot shop your coverage around so you might not find the best rates. They are usually well trained on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Many people buy from the same agent for years mainly due to the prominent brand name rather than low price.
Listed below are Sanford captive insurance agents who can help you get price quote information.
- Allstate – 5355 Orange Blvd – Sanford, FL 32771 – (407) 330-9925
- David Underwood State Farm – 225 N French Ave – Sanford, FL 32771 – (407) 321-0030
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type often have affiliation with several companies and that gives them the ability to insure with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest rate. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage which makes it simple for you.
When searching for an agent, you should always contact independent agents to get the best comparison. Most can insure with small mutual carriers which can save you money.
Shown below are Sanford independent agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Cliff Miller Insurance Inc – 700 W 25th St – Sanford, FL 32771 – (407) 322-5142
- Auto Insurance World – 2555 S French Ave – Sanford, FL 32773 – (407) 321-1558
- Barry D Justice Agency – 342 W Lake Mary Blvd – Sanford, FL 32773 – (407) 330-1400
To view more licensed insurance agents in Sanford, visit this list of car insurance agencies in Sanford, FL.
Upon receiving answers to your satisfaction to your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, you may have found an insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles.
Save $390 a year? Really?
Allstate, Geico and Progressive continually stream television and radio advertisements. All the companies tend to make the same promise that you’ll save big if you just switch your coverage to them. How can each company offer you a better deal? It’s all in the words they use.
Car insurance companies provide the lowest rates for the driver that will generate a profit. A good example of a profitable insured might be between 30 and 50, has no prior claims, and has great credit. A customer who meets those qualifications may get the lowest prices in Sanford and will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who fall outside the requirements will be charged higher rates which results in the prospect going elsewhere. If you pay attention, the ads say “customers that switch” not “everyone who quotes” can get the lowest rates when switching. That’s the way companies can truthfully claim big savings. Different companies use different criteria so you need to do a rate comparison at every renewal. It’s just not possible to know which car insurance company will give you lower premium rates than your current company.
More detailed Florida car insurance information is located at the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website. Consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, find out industry alerts, and report car insurance fraud.
Other related articles:
A tidy conclusion
When buying insurance coverage, it’s very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
There are still a few companies who may not offer rates over the internet and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies. The cheapest car insurance is possible on the web and from local insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best selection.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to compare car insurance premium rates online. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a small mutual company.