If you are a novice to online car insurance shopping, it’s easy to get confused due to the large number of car insurance companies vying for business in Oceanside.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” used by your company to calculate prices.
- Credit scores impact car insurance rates – A driver’s credit history is a huge factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit rating is not that good, you could pay less to insure your by improving your rating. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
- Your spouse saves you money – Having a spouse can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. It translates into being more mature and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores are cheaper to insure. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – The majority of insurance companies will give a discount to people who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – The deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. Coverage for physical damage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the less your car insurance will be.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – The liability section of your policy will protect you if ever you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
How to Compare Car Insurance Quotes in Oceanside, California
There are a lot of ways you can shop for car insurance but one way is easier and takes less work. You could waste a few hours driving to local insurance agents in Oceanside, or you can utilize online quoting to get the quickest rates.
Most major companies belong to an insurance system that enables customers to submit their information once, and each company can give them a price based on the submitted data. This system prevents you from having to do repetitive form submissions to each company.
To compare rates now click here to open in new window.
The single downside to pricing coverage this way is buyers cannot specifically choose which carriers you will receive quotes from. If you prefer to choose from a list of companies to compare prices, we put together a list of the cheapest car insurance companies in California. Click here for list of insurance companies in California.
Whichever way you use, compare identical coverages and limits for each price quote. If you compare differing limits it will be very difficult to decipher which rate is best in Oceanside.
Slick advertising tricks that work
California consumers constantly see and hear ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. All the companies say the same thing that you can save after switching your policy.
How does each company make almost identical claims?
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of driver they prefer to insure. For example, a profitable customer might be over the age of 40, a clean driving record, and has excellent credit. A propective insured that hits that “sweet spot” receives the best rates and as a result will probably save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who are not a match for the “perfect” profile will be quoted a higher premium which leads to business not being written. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. This is how companies can make those claims.
This emphasizes why drivers should get as many comparisons as possible. It’s impossible to know which car insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
How much can you save with discounts?
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be applied at the time of purchase, but some must be asked for in order for you to get them. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-111.jpg" alt="Oceanside CA car insurance prices” />
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for switching policies before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts compared to drivers who are more careless.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount will help reduce your premiums.
To choose companies who offer car insurance discounts in California, click here.
Aren’t my neighborhood agents an option?
Some people would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. Insurance agents can answer important questions and give you peace of mind. The best thing about getting online price quotes is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local agencies is definitely important in Oceanside.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is submitted to companies in Oceanside who will battle for your insurance coverage. You never need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent to your email. How’s that for easy!
Pick the best car insurance agent in Oceanside for you
When finding a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agents from which to choose. Oceanside agents are classified as either independent or captive. Either one can do a good job, but it’s important to know the differences because it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not locked into one company but rather can write business amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When comparison shopping, you should always include several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection. Many write coverage with smaller regional carriers which may provide better rates.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Oceanside that can give you pricing information.
- Marcus O’Bannon Agency – 2110 S Coast Hwy # N – Oceanside, CA 92054 – (760) 722-7400
- Senior Security Insurance Svc – 5292 Alamosa Park Dr – Oceanside, CA 92057 – (760) 439-2213
- Gary Meeker Agency – 2110 S Coast Hwy # N – Oceanside, CA 92054 – (760) 439-9191
- D P One Stop Insurance Svc – 2110 S Coast Hwy – Oceanside, CA 92054 – (760) 722-9902
This type of agents can only write with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to give you multiple price quotes so always compare other rates. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers frequently buy insurance from these agents mainly due to the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Below are Oceanside captive insurance agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Allstate Insurance – 2204 S El Camino Real # 12 – Oceanside, CA 92054 – (760) 721-7030
- Farmers Insurance Group – 1310 Union Plaza Ct # 104 – Oceanside, CA 92054 – (760) 967-2914
To view a full list of captive agents in Oceanside, simply jump to this page.
Selecting an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long has their agency been open in Oceanside?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
Upon getting positive responses to any questions you have in addition to an acceptable price estimate, most likely you have located an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly service your car insurance policy.
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When choosing the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Should I rate my vehicle as pleasure use or commute?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Additional car insurance information is located on the California Department of Insurance website found here. California drivers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read consumer alerts, report car insurance fraud, and find a variety of consumer forms.
These articles may also be worth reading.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Throughout this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier.
The cheapest car insurance is definitely available on the web and with local Oceanside insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection. Some companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.