Comparing can be difficult if you haven’t ever used online car insurance quotes. Don’t let the process intimidate you because there is an easy way to compare rates.
It’s smart to price shop coverage on a regular basis since insurance prices are constantly changing. If you had the lowest quotes at your last renewal a different company probably has better rates today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because it’s time to teach you how to quote online to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Finding affordable coverage in Buena Vista is not that difficult. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to save some money using these methods. Virginia consumers just need to learn the best way to compare rates on the web.
There are several ways to compare car insurance prices but there is one way that is less time-consuming than others. You could waste time talking to insurance agencies in Buena Vista, or you could use online quotes to get prices fast.
Most car insurance companies take part in a program where prospective buyers enter their coverage request one time, and each company can provide price quotes based on the submitted data. This system prevents you from having to do quotation requests to every company.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now click here (opens in new window).
One minor caviat to comparing rates this way is you don’t know exactly which insurance companies to get quotes from. So if you prefer to pick specific insurance companies to request quotes from, we have assembled a list of companies who write car insurance in Virginia. Click here for list of insurance companies in Virginia.
Whichever way you choose to compare rates, ensure you’re using the exact same coverage information for every quote you compare. If you use mixed coverages it’s not possible to find the best deal in Buena Vista.
Get cheaper car insurance with these tips
Many different elements are taken into consideration when you get your auto insurance bill. Most are fairly basic such as your driving history, but others are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or your commute time. Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that aid in calculating your premiums. When consumers understand what impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that can help you get lower premium levels.
The factors shown below are most of the major factors that factor into your prices.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount – Most larger companies afford a discount to insureds that purchase more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, consumers should still shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
- Better rates for no policy lapses – Going without insurance is a fast way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance may result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. Then you may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Virginia DMV.
- Theft deterrents lower prices – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Anti-theft devices like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Traffic violations can increase prices – Your driving citation history influences premium rates substantially. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Even a single driving citation can increase the cost of insurance substantially. Drivers with license-revoking violations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find that they have to to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
- A good credit rating can save money – A driver’s credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Therefore, if your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by repairing your credit. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit scores.
- More miles equals more premium – The more you drive your car every year the higher the price you pay to insure it. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage cost less to insure than cars that get driven a lot. Make sure your car insurance policy is showing how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Lower performance equals lower insurance costs – The make and model of the car, truck or SUV you drive makes a significant difference in your premium level. The most favorable rates are usually found on economy passenger cars, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Virginia car insurance discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there are discounts available that you may not even know about. Many discounts should be triggered when you get a quote, but once in a while a discount must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Early Switch Discount – A few companies offer discounts for buying a new policy prior to your current policy expiration. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Buena Vista drivers who agree to allow driving data collection to look at driving habits through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot may see discounts if their driving habits are good.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles and insure them both with the same insurance company you could save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Claim Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts when compared with bad drivers.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a course in defensive driving is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
- Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles could earn lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of 25 to 30%.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like it’s possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To view insurance companies offering car insurance discounts in Virginia, click here.
When in doubt talk to an agent
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Local Buena Vista auto insurance agents
Some people still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is a smart decision Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheaper auto insurance rates but also keep your business local.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is submitted to participating agents in Buena Vista who can give free rate quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don’t have to leave your house as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you wish to quote rates from a specific company, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right company should depend on more than just a low price. Any good agent should know the answers to these questions.
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- How are claims handled?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Buena Vista?
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you need to find a local Buena Vista insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies that you can choose from. Car insurance agencies are either captive or independent. Either one can insure your vehicles, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it can impact which agent you choose.
Captive Insurance Agents
Agents in the captive channel work for only one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Captives cannot compare rates from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Captives are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. A lot of people choose to use a captive agent partially due to high brand loyalty rather than having the cheapest rates.
Listed below is a list of captive agencies in Buena Vista that can give you price quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 2073 Magnolia Ave – Buena Vista, VA 24416 – (540) 261-6166
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies are not limited to a single company and that enables them to quote your coverage amongst many companies and find you cheaper rates. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company which makes it simple for you. If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you contact several independent insurance agents in order to compare the most rates. Many write coverage with less well-known companies which may provide better rates.
The following is a short list of independent agencies in Buena Vista willing to provide price quote information.
- Huffman Insurance – 2155 Magnolia Ave – Buena Vista, VA 24416 – (540) 261-2200
- Burks’ Insurance – 2214 Magnolia Ave – Buena Vista, VA 24416 – (540) 261-3342
To view additional car insurance agents in Buena Vista, link to this full listing of insurance agents in Buena Vista, VA.
Summing up your car insurance search
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The aim is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price.
You just read a lot of tips how to lower your car insurance prices. The key concept to understand is the more you , the higher your chance of finding . Drivers may discover the best prices are with an unexpected company.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including policy cancellation, lack of trust in their agent, poor customer service and even high prices. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
For more information
More tips and info about car insurance can be read at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Visitors are able to find out which companies have the most complaints, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, find a variety of consumer forms, and get help finding coverage.