Nobody I know enjoys paying for auto insurance, especially when they are aware that they could find better prices if they shop around. With drivers having so many options when it comes to auto insurance, it is hard for the average consumer to pick a more affordable insurance company.
Affordable West Virginia auto insurance rates with discounts
Auto insurance companies do not list every possible discount very clearly, so the below list has some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Government Employee Discount – Having worked for a branch of the government may qualify for a discount when you but check with your company.
- Online Discount – A few auto insurance companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up on the web.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Have your child enroll and complete driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Richwood Homeowners Pay Less – Just owning your own home can earn you a little savings since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used car can save you some money because new model year vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Resident Student – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus can receive lower rates.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags may qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
You should keep in mind that some credits don’t apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A few popular companies and the discounts they provide can be found below.
- 21st Century may include discounts for early bird, homeowners, anti-lock brakes, automatic seat belts, 55 and older, and good student.
- Progressive has discounts for online quote discount, continuous coverage, good student, homeowner, and multi-policy.
- State Farm has savings for safe vehicle, good driver, multiple policy, multiple autos, anti-theft, defensive driving training, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, good student, Farm Bureau membership, easy pay, multi-policy, business or organization, and accident-free.
- Esurance may have discounts that include homeowner, paid-in-full, Pac-12 alumni, anti-theft, defensive driver, claim free, and emergency road assistance.
- The Hartford discounts include defensive driver, good student, anti-theft, bundle, air bag, and vehicle fuel type.
If you are trying to find , ask each company or agent to give you their best rates. Some credits may not apply to policies everywhere. To see a list of providers that offer the discounts shown above in Richwood, click this link.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions could help you determine whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in West Virginia?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in West Virginia?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional resources for West Virginia consumers
Additional auto insurance information is located on the West Virginia Insurance Commission website through this link. West Virginia drivers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view a list of available companies, and file complaints about a company.
Smart consumers save more
As you , it’s a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
You just learned a lot of ways to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more you , the better chance you’ll have of finding . You may even discover the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. Regional companies often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, Geico and Nationwide.
Cheaper auto insurance is available on the web as well as from independent agents in Richwood, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers may not provide rates over the internet and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agencies.