Buying affordable Suffolk car insurance online can be difficult for consumers not familiar with buying insurance on the web. When there are so many companies in the marketplace, how can Suffolk drivers even start to compare every company to locate the best available rates?
It’s a good idea to compare rates periodically since insurance rates are variable and change quite frequently. If you had the lowest price on your last policy you may be paying too much now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because we’re going to demonstrate how to use online quotes to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
Finding affordable coverage in Suffolk is not that difficult. In a nutshell, anyone who has to buy car insurance will more than likely be able to lower their premiums. Although Virginia drivers should learn the way companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
How much can you save with discounts?
Companies don’t necessarily list every available discount in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched both the well known and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving.
- Accident Waiver – Certain companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Multi-car Discount – Having more than one vehicle with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Distant Student – Kids in college who are attending college without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some of the credits will not apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
For a list of companies with the best car insurance discounts in Virginia, click here to view.
Are insurance agents obsolete?
Some consumers would prefer to get advice from a local agent. The best thing about comparing rates online is that you can obtain the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to insurance agents in Suffolk who will battle for your insurance coverage. You never need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered directly to your email. How cool is that?! You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent.
Deciding on an provider should depend on more than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
To view a list of agents in Suffolk to contact, click here to link.
After getting acceptable answers for all questions you ask as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found a company that meets your needs to service your policy.
The fine print in car insurance ads
Car insurance companies such as Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm regularly use television and radio advertisements. They all seem to make an identical promise of big savings if you move your coverage to them. How does each company say the same thing?
All companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that is profitable for them. An example of a preferred risk might be profiled as over the age of 40, has no tickets, and has excellent credit. Any driver that hits that “sweet spot” will get very good rates and most likely will save when switching.
Drivers who don’t qualify for the requirements will be charged higher premiums which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much. That’s the way companies can advertise the way they do. That is why you should get a wide range of price quotes. It’s just too difficult to predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
To learn even more about car insurance
Even more information is available at the Virginia Bureau of Insurance website. Consumers can learn about specific coverages, view agent and company licensing information, download brochures, and find out industry alerts.
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including poor customer service, denial of a claim, delays in paying claims and being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
We just covered a lot of tips how to get a better price on car insurance. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the best prices are with a smaller regional carrier.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed physical damage coverage only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford.