I can’t think of anyone who looks forward to buying auto insurance, in particular when the cost is way too high.
You have multiple auto insurance companies to pick from, and although it’s nice to have multiple companies, lots of choices makes it harder to find a good deal.
Locating affordable protection in Draper is simple if you know the tricks. Just about everyone who is required by state law to have auto insurance will more than likely be able to save money. But Utah drivers must understand the way companies sell online.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you may find discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at quote time, but a few must be asked about before they will apply.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies offer discounts for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you can actually save on your bill.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of a qualifying organization may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll in driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
Consumers should know that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Draper
The are a couple different ways to compare rate quotes and find the best price. The fastest way to compare insurance prices is to use the internet to compare rates. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- Probably the best way to find low rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click here to open form in new window. This method keeps you from doing repetitive form entry for every auto insurance company. One form submission gets you price quotes from many national carriers.
- A less efficient way to compare rate quotes requires visiting each company’s website to complete a price quote. For sake of this example, let’s say you want to compare Allstate, GEICO and Liberty Mutual. You would have to spend time on each company’s site to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Draper, click here.
However you get your quotes, ensure you are comparing exactly the same quote information for each price quote. If the quotes have differing limits it will be next to impossible to decipher which rate is best in Draper. Just a small difference in limits may result in a large different in cost. Just keep in mind that getting more free quotes helps you find the best rates.
What determines how much you pay?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the elements that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower auto insurance prices.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Vehicles with high crash test scores are cheaper to insure. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and lower injury rates means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates.
- Older drivers pay less – Teenage drivers in Utah tend to get distracted easily behind the wheel so auto insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a teen driver onto your auto insurance can be very expensive. Older drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and get fewer tickets.
- Protect your assets with liability insurance – Liability insurance will protect you if you are found to be at fault for damages from an accident. It will provide legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse will be a guaranteed way to bump up your auto insurance costs. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a license revocation or jail time.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. Men and women are in accidents in similar numbers, but the males cause more damage. They also receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- How many coverages with the same company – Most insurance companies give discounts to policyholders who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s still a good idea to compare other company rates to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find better rates by buying auto insurance from a different company.
- Pay less after the wedding – Having a spouse can get you a discount on auto insurance. It translates into being more mature and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
A tidy conclusion
We just covered a lot of information how to reduce auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may even discover the best price on auto insurance is with the smaller companies. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
When shopping online for auto insurance, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, someone sacrificed full coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
More information can be found on the website for the Utah Insurance Department located here. Consumers can download brochures, view a list of available companies, find disaster information, and learn about specific coverages.