Drivers that are new to comparing insurance coverage rates on the internet could find buying is more work than they thought.
Locating the lowest cost coverage in Hilliard is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you have a current auto insurance policy or are looking for a new policy, you can learn to get lower rates and possibly find even better coverage. Ohio vehicle owners just need to know the best way to find the lowest price on the web.
Seven factors that affect insurance costs
Consumers need to have an understanding of a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. If you understand what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to lower premium levels. Many things are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but some are less obvious such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
- Gender is a factor – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Both sexes cause auto accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species have costlier accidents. Not only are claims higher, but men receive more major tickets such as reckless driving.
- Auto insurance policy lapses increase prices – Driving any period of time without insurance is not a good idea and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage lapse. And not only will your rates increase, the inability to provide proof of insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Cheaper prices using GPS tracking and theft deterrents – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent your car from being stolen.
- Don’t skimp on liability protection – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if you are ruled to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. This coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Avoid traffic tickets – Getting just one speeding ticket or other violation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better prices as compared to careless drivers. Drivers who get dangerous violations like DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Lower rates with a multi-policy discount – Most insurance companies allow better rates for people who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you still need to compare rates to guarantee you are still saving the most.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – An insured’s credit score will be a significant factor in calculating your premium rate. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings. So if your credit could use some work, you could pay less to insure your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Comparing auto insurance rates can be exhausting if you don’t understand the fastest way to get free quotes. You could spend your day talking about coverages with local insurance agents in Hilliard, or you could save time and use the internet to get the quickest rates.
Most of the larger companies enroll in a system where insurance shoppers enter their coverage request one time, and at least one company then gives them pricing determined by their information. This saves time by eliminating quotation requests to each company.
To get comparison pricing now click here to start a free quote.
The only downside to comparing rates this way is you can’t choose the insurers to get quotes from. So if you prefer to choose individual companies to compare rates, we have a page of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Ohio. View list of Ohio insurance companies.
The approach you take is up to you, just ensure you are comparing identical quote information for each quote you get. If your comparisons have higher or lower deductibles you will not be able to determine the lowest rate in Hilliard.
Discounts to earn lower Hilliard auto insurance rates
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, but you may qualify for discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at quote time, but less common discounts must be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying a policy with multiple cars or trucks on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Student in College – Older children who live away from home to go to college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle can receive lower rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Theft Deterent – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Driver Education Discount – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront as opposed to paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Memberships – Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a .
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance because of the fact that having a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- Multi-line Discount – Insurance carriers who offer life insurance give a discounted premium rate on car insurance if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save up to 30% because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
One thing to note about discounts is that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
A few companies that may include some of the above discounts include:
If you want , ask each company how many discounts you can get. Discounts may not be offered in Hilliard. To see providers with discount auto insurance rates in Hilliard, click here to view.
Tailor your auto insurance coverage to you
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
For example, these questions can help discover if you could use an agent’s help.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Do no-fault laws apply in Ohio?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Additional auto insurance information is available on the Ohio Department of Insurance website found here. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, view a list of available companies, and file complaints about a company.
The following information may also be useful.
- Hilliard Auto Insurance Company Online Rate Quotes
- How to Know Youre Wasting Money for Auto Insurance in Hilliard
Affordable auto insurance is out there
As you shop your coverage around, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where drivers have reduced full coverage and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
There are still a few companies who do not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agencies. Cheaper auto insurance can be purchased both online in addition to many Hilliard insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, denial of a claim, delays in responding to claim requests or not issuing a premium refund. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is not as hard as you think.