People new to shopping for insurance online can find shopping for the cheapest Tuscaloosa auto insurance is more work than they anticipated.
It’s important to get comparison quotes once or twice a year because rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the best price on your last policy you can probably find a lower rate today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn the tricks you need to know to buy cheaper auto insurance.
Don’t miss out on these money-saving discounts
Auto insurance companies do not advertise all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list some of the more common and the harder-to-find auto insurance savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are throwing money away.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with better rates if you take out life insurance.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- Organization Discounts – Belonging to a professional or civic organization may earn a discount on your policy.
- Seat Belts Save – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discount for New Cars – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can be considerably cheaper since new cars are generally safer.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way.
For a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Tuscaloosa, click here to view.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Tuscaloosa
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
- Battle of the sexes – Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Pay less after the wedding – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your policy. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and responsible it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Safer cars reduce injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts passed on to you as lower rates.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability coverage will protect you if you are found liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- Increase deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply could be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, or theft. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Little extras can really add up – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles you can purchase on your policy. Coverages for roadside assistance, better glass coverage and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. They may seem good when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so eliminate them to save money.
- How your age affects price – Older drivers tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel. Teen drivers are statistically proven to be more careless behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no one size fits all plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Alabama?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
More information about auto insurance
More tips and info about auto insurance is available at the Alabama Department of Insurance website. Consumers can find disaster information, find a variety of consumer forms, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.
And the best car insurance company is…
Budget-conscious auto insurance is attainable online as well as from independent agents in Tuscaloosa, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
When shopping online for auto insurance, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where an insured dropped collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.