No car owner looks forward to buying car insurance, especially when they know they could find better rates elsewhere. Popular companies such as Allstate and Progressive persitently shower you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to avoid their marketing magic and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Lowering your car insurance rates is surprisingly easy. All that’s required is to spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes to discover which company has . Rate comparisons can be done in several different ways.
- If you don’t have a lot of time, the easiest way to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This form prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each price estimate. One quote request will get you rate comparisons from many national carriers.
- Another way to obtain and compare quotes online requires you to visit the website of each company to complete their respective quote request forms. For instance, we’ll assume you want to compare Nationwide, Farmers and Progressive. In order to get each rate, you would have to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker. To view a list of companies in Mott, click here.
- The hardest way to get comparison rates is driving around to different agent offices. Comparing rate quotes online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you prefer the guidance that only an agent can give. Some companies do allow you to compare online quotes but buy from a local insurance agent.
Which method you use is up to you, but try to keep identical quote information on every quote you get. If you use higher or lower deductibles then you won’t be able to make a fair rate comparison in Mott.
Get lower-cost car insurance with these tips
Lots of factors are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, but other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
The itemized list below are a few of the things companies use to determine prices.
- Liability limits should be high – Liability insurance provides coverage if ever you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is very inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- High physical damage deductibles lower costs – Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be a windshield shattered by a rock, flood damage, and damage caused by flying debris. Deductibles for physical damage tell how much you are required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the better rate you will receive.
- High policy claims frequency drives up prices – Companies in North Dakota give discounts to insureds who do not file claims often. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Teenagers vs. older drivers – Young drivers in North Dakota are statistically proven to be less responsible when at the wheel of a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Parents adding a inexperienced driver to your policy can be very expensive. Older insureds are more cautious drivers, cost insurance companies less in claims .
- Don’t get traffic citations – Just one moving violation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets pay lower auto insurance prices as compared to careless drivers. Drivers unfortunate enough to have flagrant violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may face state-mandated requirements to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Don’t miss these discounts
Car insurance is expensive, but you can get discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some of these disounts will be visible at quote time, but a few must be inquired about prior to getting the savings.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new may earn a small discount because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront rather than spreading payments over time you could save 5% or more.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Good Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Membership in Organizations – Belonging to qualifying clubs or civic groups may earn a discount on car insurance.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying insurance for primary and secondary vehicles with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
- Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn better prices if you take out some life insurance too.
- Student Discounts – Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky. Any qualifying discounts should definitely cut your overall bill.
Large car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are:
- Progressive offers discounts including good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online signing, and online quote discount.
- AAA may offer discounts for anti-theft, pay-in-full, multi-car, education and occupation, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for pay in full, good student, bundle discounts, business and professional, youthful driver, early shopping, and homeowner.
- GEICO may have discounts that include defensive driver, multi-policy, good student, driver training, anti-lock brakes, air bags, and membership and employees.
- Esurance discounts include multi-car, claim free, safety device, homeowner, anti-theft, emergency road assistance, and paid-in-full.
- SAFECO has discounts for teen safe driver, anti-theft, accident prevention training, drive less, and bundle discounts.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, defensive driving training, passive restraint, driver’s education, and multiple policy.
If you need lower rates, check with each company or agent which discounts they offer. Some discounts may not be available in Mott.
Buying from auto insurance agents
Some consumers just want to go talk to an agent and doing that can be a smart decision Insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance rates but also keep your business local. Supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Mott.
After filling out this quick form, your information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. There is no need to visit any agencies because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. If you want to get a rate quote from a particular provider, you just need to navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
When searching for a good Mott insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agents can be described as either independent agents or captive agents. Both types of agents can sell affordable car insurance policies, but it’s worth learning why they differ since it may influence which agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing car insurance prices, you will definitely want to check rates from independent agents for the best price selection.
Featured below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Mott that can possibly get you free car insurance quotes.
Cardinal Insurance – 209 Brown Ave – Mott, ND 58646 – (701) 824-3294
American Insurance – 308 Brown Ave – Mott, ND 58646 – (701) 824-3202
Agents in the captive channel can usually just insure with one company such as Allstate and State Farm. Captive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Choosing a car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. The following questions are important to ask.
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Will they give you a referral list?
Persistent drivers can save
We covered some good ideas how you can save on car insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies. Some small companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate and Progressive.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, an insured dropped collision coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The aim is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Additional car insurance information can be read on the located here. North Dakota consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, download brochures, discover disciplinary actions, and view agent and company licensing information.