Confused by the wide range of auto insurance companies in Standish? Lot’s of other consumers are too. There are so many choices that it can be a ton of work to compare prices.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in big savings.
- Where you live can impact rates – Living in less populated areas is a positive aspect when it comes to auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have more traffic problems and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that can waste your money on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and motor club memberships are some examples. These may sound like a good investment at first, but if you don’t need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims are running into the backend of another car, vandalism, and burglary. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are required to spend before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more expense you have to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Your spouse saves you money – Being married actually saves money on auto insurance. Having a significant other translates into being more responsible and it’s proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- More miles equals more premium – The higher the mileage driven each year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies apply a rate based on their usage. Autos not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Compare Quotes for Standish Auto Insurance
When shopping for auto insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rates and find the best price. One of the best ways to compare insurance prices is simply to get online rate quotes. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- The most efficient way to get quotes for comparison is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This type of form saves time by eliminating separate forms for every auto insurance company. One quote request compares rates direct from many companies. Just one form and you’re done.
- Another way to compare prices is to take the time to go to each company website and request a quote. For example, we’ll assume you want rates from Geico, Safeco and Allstate. To find out each rate you need to take the time to go to each site to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to insurance companies in Standish, click here.
- The most time-consuming way of comparing rate quotes to local Standish insurance agencies. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the professional advice that only a license agent can provide. Drivers can compare the best prices online and still use a local agent and we’ll touch on that later.
Which method you use is up to you, but make sure you use exactly the same quote information on every quote you get. If each company quotes differing limits it will be impossible to find the best deal in Standish. Quoting even small variations in insurance coverages can result in a big premium difference. And when comparison shopping, more quotes will enable you to find the best offered rates.
Don’t miss these discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but a few must be specifically requested before you get the savings.
- No Claims – Good drivers with no accidents can save substantially when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Distant Student – Any of your kids living away from home attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down could qualify for discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a course in driver safety could cut 5% off your bill and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Paperless Signup – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing digitally online.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization may earn a discount on auto insurance.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your overall premium however.
To see a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Maine, follow this link.
Shop online but buy locally
Certain consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And supporting small agencies is especially important in Standish.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Standish who will return price quotes for your business. There is no need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier! You can find the lowest rates and a licensed agent to work with.
Two types of Standish car insurance agents
When searching for a local agent, you need to know there are two different agency structures to choose from. Agents are categorized either captive or independent.
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, we recommend you get quotes from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most have the option of insuring with smaller companies who may have lower rates.
The following are Standish independent agencies who may be able to give you comparison quotes.
- Lovejoy Agency – 70 Ossipee Trl – Standish, ME 04084 – (207) 642-2222
Captive agencies work for only one company such as Allstate, AAA, Liberty Mutual and State Farm. These agents are not able to place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. They are trained well on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes choose to use a captive agent mostly because of the brand legacy and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Below are Standish captive agencies that can give you price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 140 Ossipee Trl E # B – Standish, ME 04084 – (207) 642-8080
For a complete listing of captive insurance agents in Standish, go to this page.
Selecting an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- How are they compensated?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
After getting acceptable answers to all your questions as well as a affordable price, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that can insure your vehicles.
Much more information about auto insurance in Maine is available on the Maine Bureau of Insurance website through this link. Maine drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, view agent and company licensing information, and find a variety of consumer forms.
More effort can pay off
We just showed you a lot of information how to save on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the best price on auto insurance is with a small mutual company.
Cheap auto insurance is attainable online in addition to many Standish insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including delays in paying claims, unfair underwriting practices, policy non-renewal and even high rates after DUI convictions. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company can be pretty painless.