Saving money on Myrtle Beach auto insurance is always challenging for beginners to shopping for insurance online. You have so many options available that it can be a challenge to find lower rates in Myrtle Beach.
It’s smart to compare prices occasionally because prices change regularly. Just because you found the lowest rates a year ago there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to how to use online quotes to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
Compare the Market for Auto Insurance in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Performing a rate comparison can take time and effort if you aren’t aware of the most efficient way to do it. You could spend your day talking about coverages with insurance companies in Myrtle Beach, or you could save time and use online quotes to get pricing more quickly.
Many popular insurance companies enroll in a system that enables customers to complete one form, and at least one company then returns a price quote for coverage. This saves time by eliminating quote requests for each company you want a rate for.
To compare rates using this form now click here to open in new window.
The one downside to using this type of form is you are unable to specify which insurance companies you want to price. So if you want to choose specific insurance companies to receive pricing from, we have assembled a list of low cost auto insurance companies in South Carolina. View list of South Carolina insurance companies.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but double check that you are using apples-to-apples quote information on every quote. If you compare unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be impossible to determine the best price in Myrtle Beach.
Companies offer discounts so take them!
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you may find discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be manually applied prior to getting the savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Theft Prevention System – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts as compared to bad drivers.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies before your current expiration date. It can save you around 10%.
- Bundle and Save – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Cars that have air bags or motorized seat belts can get savings of 20% or more.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
To choose insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in South Carolina, click here.
Many Things Influence your Rates
It’s important that you understand the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
- Better credit scores mean better rates – Having a bad credit score is a huge factor in determining your rates. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with lower ratings. So if your credit is low, you could pay less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – Most auto insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Males pay more for insurance – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. However, this does not mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women are in accidents in similar percentages, but men have costlier accidents. Men also get cited for more serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving. Youthful male drivers are several times more likely to be in an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
Are you falling for claims of savings?
Consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for cheaper car insurance from the likes of State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. All the companies say the same thing that you’ll save big if you switch your coverage to them.
How do they all make the same claim? It’s all in the numbers.
All companies can use profiling for the type of driver that is profitable for them. An example of a desirable insured could be between 30 and 50, insures multiple vehicles, and has a short commute. A customer who meets those qualifications gets the lowest rates and most likely will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential insureds who are not a match for the requirements will be quoted a higher premium and this can result in the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “customers who switch” not “people who quote” save that much money. That’s why companies can claim big savings.
This emphasizes why you need to get as many comparisons as possible. You cannot predict which auto insurance company will have the lowest rates.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
Cost effective auto insurance can be found both online as well as from independent agents in Myrtle Beach, so compare prices from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through independent insurance agents.
People change insurance companies for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, high prices, policy non-renewal and even delays in responding to claim requests. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching auto insurance companies is less work than it seems.
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, an insured cut full coverage only to regret that they should have had better coverage. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional South Carolina car insurance resources
Additional auto insurance information is available on the South Carolina Department of Insurance website found here. Consumers can get help finding coverage, view a list of available companies, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and find a variety of consumer forms.