Comparison shopping for Newark auto insurance can seem to be hard for consumers not familiar with buying insurance online. You have so many choices that it can easily become a real challenge to compare prices in Newark.
It’s a good idea to price shop coverage once or twice a year since rates change quite often. Just because you found the best rates on your last policy you will most likely find a better rate today. There is a lot of bad information regarding auto insurance on the web, but with this article, you’re going to get a lot of great tips on how to slash your auto insurance rates.
Save Money with These Tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to big savings.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine prices.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Driving without insurance is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Delaware motor vehicle department.
- Claim-free discounts can add up – Companies in Delaware award lower rates to people who file claims infrequently. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for larger claims.
- Pay less after the wedding – Getting married helps lower the price on your policy. Having a spouse means you’re more mature and responsible and it’s proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Your driving citation history impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Just one moving violation may increase your cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than their less careful counterparts. Drivers who have dangerous citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to submit a SR-22 form with their state DMV in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Performance makes a difference – The type of vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your rates. The most favorable rates are generally reserved for economy passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Save big with these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there are discounts available that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts apply automatically when you get a quote, but some must be asked for prior to receiving the credit. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with a substantially lower rate.
- Multiple Cars – Having all your vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Seat Belt Usage – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in certain professional organizations could qualify you for a break when shopping for auto insurance.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you can actually save on your bill.
- Accident Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories can earn big discounts as compared to drivers who are more careless.
Drivers should understand that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will bring down the amount you have to pay.
For a list of insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Delaware, follow this link.
What about my local Newark agents?
Some consumers would rather visit with an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in Newark.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the coverage information gets sent to companies in Newark who will return price quotes to get your business. You don’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered directly to your email. How’s that for easy!
Below are Newark insurers that are able to give rate quotes.
- Liberty Mutual – 131 Continental Dr, Newark, DE 19713 – (302) 369-9904
- Health Insurance Ctr – 260 Chapman Rd, Newark, DE 19702 – (302) 292-1301
- Nationwide Insurance – 20 Peddlers Row, Newark, DE 19702 – (302) 328-1212
- Charles A Neal Agency – , Newark, DE 19711 – (302) 239-7717
- State Farm Insurance – 1200 Peoples Plz # 1250, Newark, DE 19702 – (302) 832-0344
- Allstate Insurance – 6 Polly Drummond Hill Rd, Newark, DE 19711 – (302) 292-8420
To view a complete directory of licensed insurance agents in Newark, click here to link.
Deciding on an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How long has their agency been open in Newark?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
Once you have good answers for all questions you ask as well as a affordable price, it’s possible that you found an insurer that meets your needs to properly service your auto insurance policy.
Auto insurance myths debunked
Delaware consumers constantly see and hear ads for car insurance savings by companies like Allstate and Progressive. All the ads make the same claim about savings if you move to them.
How do they all make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the right customer that earns them a profit. An example of a preferred risk could be between the ages of 40 and 55, a clean driving record, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any new insured who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Potential customers who are not a match for this ideal profile will be quoted a higher premium and ends up with the customer not buying. The ads say “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. This is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings.
This emphasizes why you should compare many company’s rates. You cannot predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
When might I need an agent?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Every insured’s situation is different.
For instance, these questions could help you determine whether you might need professional guidance.
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Delaware?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Newark?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Delaware?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and you can get the answers you need.
Additional information is available on the Delaware Department of Insurance website. Click here for link. Consumers can view agent and company licensing information, read consumer alerts, and learn about insurance regulations.
Smart shoppers get results
People leave their current company for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, policy non-renewal, questionable increases in premium and even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Lower-priced auto insurance can be found on the web in addition to many Newark insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies do not provide online quoting and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced full coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.