If shopping for auto insurance online is new to you, you can be overwhelmed by the large number of companies selling insurance in Waukegan.
You should take the time to take a look at other company’s rates quite often because rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the best deal a couple years back a different company probably has better rates today. Starting right now, block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn how to use online quotes to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Waukegan, IL
All major auto insurance companies such as Progressive, Allstate and Geico allow you to get insurance quotes on the web. Getting online rates is fairly straightforward as you simply enter the coverages you want into a form. Upon sending the form, their rating system automatically orders your credit score and driving record and quotes a price.
Online price quotes makes it a lot easier to compare rates but the work required to visit multiple sites and type in the same information can be a bit tiresome and repetitive. Unfortunately, it is important to have as many quotes as possible in order to get better prices.
The preferred way to compare auto insurance pricing makes use of a single form that analyzes rates from several different companies. It’s a real time-saver, requires less work, and makes price shopping online much more efficient. Immediately after submitting the form, your coverage is rated and you are able to buy any or none of the price quotes you receive. If one or more price quotes are lower than your current rates, you simply finish the application and purchase coverage. This process can be completed in a matter of minutes and could lower your rates considerably.
To save time and find out if lower rates are available, click here and enter your information. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended that you enter the insurance coverages as close as possible to your current policy. Doing this guarantees you will have a fair comparison for similar coverage.
Can switching companies really save?
Auto insurance companies such as Progressive, Allstate and Geico continually stream television and radio advertisements. They all seem to say the same thing of big savings after switching your policy. But how can every company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies can use profiling for the type of driver they prefer to insure. A good example of a preferred risk might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no tickets, and has excellent credit. Any new insured who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who are not a match for this ideal profile will have to pay higher prices and ends up with business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. This is how insurance companies can state the savings. Because of the profiling, it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict the company that will have the lowest rates.
You have some control over your rates
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that help determine your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
The following are a partial list of the pieces that factor into rates.
- Pay less after the wedding – Having a spouse can actually save you money on auto insurance. It translates into being more mature it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Frequent auto insurance claims increase rates – If you frequently file small claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance companies in Illinois generally give lower rates to people who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
- Males pay more for insurance – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. They also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Most insurance companies will give a discount to customers who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even though this discount sounds good, you still need to compare other company rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Where you live can impact rates – Living in a small town can be a good thing when talking about auto insurance. Lower population means a lower chance of having an accident and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Urban drivers have much more traffic to deal with and much longer commute distances. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Don’t buy coverages you don’t need – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that can waste your money when buying auto insurance. Coverages like personal injury protection, accident forgiveness and additional equipment coverage are some examples. These coverages may sound good initially, but now you might not need them so get rid of them and save.
- Where do you drive? – Driving more miles each year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers charge to insure your cars based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage qualify for better rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Make sure your auto insurance coverage is rated on the proper vehicle usage.
More discounts equal less premium
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise all available discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of some of the more common and also the lesser-known ways to save on auto insurance.
- Accident Waiver – A handful of insurance companies allow you one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
Keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
For a list of providers with discount auto insurance rates in Waukegan, follow this link.
Your local neighborhood insurance agent
A small number of people would rather buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After filling out this short form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to agents in your area who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home since price quotes are sent directly to your email. Now that’s easy! It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Selecting a company requires more thought than just the premium amount. These questions are important to ask:
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How are they compensated?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
If you wish to select a specific agent in Waukegan, please view this page.
Upon getting good answers for all questions you ask and a low price estimate, chances are good that you have found an provider that meets your needs to properly service your auto insurance policy.
In this article, we covered quite a bit of information on how to compare auto insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the most savings is with an unexpected company.
Drivers who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as poor customer service, extreme rates for teen drivers, policy non-renewal or even high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced full coverage only to discover later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford.
For more information
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at the Illinois Department of Insurance website. Illinois consumers can read industry bulletins, file complaints about a company, learn about specific coverages, and download brochures.
Other related articles: