Have you fallen victim to an underperforming, overpriced car insurance policy? Trust us, there are a lot of people in San Antonio just like you who feel imprisoned by their car insurance policy.
You have so many auto insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it’s a good thing to be able to choose, having more car insurance companies makes it harder to find a good deal.
It’s a good idea to do rate comparisons once or twice a year since insurance rates are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Just because you had the best price a year ago other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the things you must know in order to buy cheaper car insurance.
Cheap San Antonio Car Insurance Comparisons
There are several ways to get quotes from local in San Antonio, Texascar insurance companies. The best way to find competitive insurance rates is simply to get online rate quotes. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in several different ways.
The single most time-saving way to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This method keeps you from doing multiple quote forms for each company you want a rate for. One form submission will get you price quotes from several companies.
A less efficient way to find lower rates requires visiting the website for every company you want to comare and fill out their own quote form. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from Farmers, Esurance and Allstate. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site to enter your coverage information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in San Antonio, click here.
Whichever way you use, make darn sure you compare exactly the same coverages for each price quote. If your comparisons have differing limits you will not be able to make a fair comparison in San Antonio. Slightly different coverages could mean much higher rates. And when comparison shopping, getting more free quotes gives you a better chance of getting the best price.
These discounts can lower your rates
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but companies offer discounts that you may not know about. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time of quoting, but some must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Accident Waiver – A handful of insurance companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially when compared with accident-prone drivers.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of insurance companies will give a small break simply for signing online.
- Clubs and Organizations – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and will save you 10% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, you’re out of luck. But any discount will bring down your premiums.
To see a list of providers with discount car insurance rates in Texas, click here to view.
Decisions you make can impact your rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine your rates.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Even a single ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Drivers who get serious violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may be required to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more miles you rack up on your car each year the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Autos not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy properly reflects how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – Some car insurance companies provide better rates to customers who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even with this discount, it’s still a good idea to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Higher deductibles cost less – The deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be colliding with a building, damage from fire, or theft. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability insurance will protect you in the event that a jury decides you are liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Marriage pays dividends – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount when buying car insurance. It is viewed as being more responsible and it’s proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Jobs such as real estate brokers, executives and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates because of high stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like actors, students and retirees receive lower rates.
Additional car insurance information is available on the website for the Texas Department of Insurance located here. Texas drivers can report car insurance fraud, read consumer alerts, and discover disciplinary actions.
More related San Antonio car insurance information:
Shop smart and save
Low-cost car insurance can be found online and with local San Antonio insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
We just showed you a lot of information how to lower your car insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the lowest premiums are with an unexpected company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Geico and State Farm.