Paying for high-priced car insurance can overdraw your checking account and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Comparison shopping is a smart way to help make ends meet. Numerous insurance companies battle to insure your vehicles, so it’s not easy to compare every insurance company to find the absolute best price available.
You need to compare rates occasionally since insurance rates are variable and change quite frequently. If you had the lowest rates a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out the quickest way to get good coverage at a lower rate.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, you will benefit by learning to find better prices and possibly find even better coverage. Finding affordable coverage in American Fork is not that difficult. Utah consumers only need to know the most efficient way to shop over the internet.
You probably qualify for some discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but there are discounts available to reduce the price significantly. Some discounts apply automatically at the time you complete a quote, but some must be inquired about before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Organization Discounts – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization is a good way to get lower rates when buying car insurance.
- Early Signing – Select companies give a discount for buying a policy before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may be able to get better car insurance rates.
Keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think adding up those discounts means a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But all discounts will help reduce the cost of coverage.
To see a list of insurers offering car insurance discounts in Utah, click here to view.
How to Compare Car Insurance in American Fork, Utah
Reducing your insurance rates is not rocket science. You just have to spend a few minutes on the computer getting comparison quotes from different insurance companies. This can be accomplished in several different ways.
- The fastest way to find the lowest comparison rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This easy form keeps you from doing separate quote forms for each company. A single form gets you coverage quotes from multiple companies.
- A more time consuming way to get quotes online is going to the website of each company to complete a price quote. For examples sake, we’ll pretend you want to compare Farmers, Safeco and Liberty Mutual. To find out each rate you need to visit each site to input your insurance information, which is why most consumers use the first method. For a list of links to insurance companies in American Fork, click here.
It’s your choice how you get your quotes, but double check that you are using exactly the same coverage limits and deductibles for every quote you compare. If the quotes have different values for each quote you can’t possibly determine the lowest rate in American Fork.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-99.jpg" alt="American Fork UT insurance quotes” />
Lower the Price of Insurance with These Tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in lower car insurance prices.
Shown below are some of the items companies use to determine premiums.
- Battle of the sexes – The statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are worse drivers. They both have accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species cause more damage. Men also tend to get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and therefore have the most expensive car insurance rates.
- High credit ratings translate to low rates – A driver’s credit score is a huge factor in calculating your car insurance rates. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with lower ratings. If your credit history is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your by repairing your credit.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Even one speeding ticket may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The type of vehicle you own makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The lowest rates tend to be for economy passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance can result in a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
There’s no such thing as the perfect policy
When it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Utah?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Car insurance myths debunked
Utah consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for car insurance savings by companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads say the same thing that you’ll save big if you switch to them.
But how can every company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies can use profiling for the driver that makes them money. An example of a profitable customer could possibly be a mature driver, a clean driving record, and has excellent credit. A driver who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Potential insureds who don’t meet this ideal profile must pay higher rates and this can result in business not being written. The ads state “customers who switch” not “people who quote” save money. That’s why insurance companies can advertise the savings.
This illustrates why you should get quotes from several different companies. It is impossible to predict which company will have the lowest rates.
Online plus local equals savings
Cheaper car insurance is available both online and also from your neighborhood American Fork agents, so you should compare both to have the best selection. A few companies may not provide online quoting and usually these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
We just presented many tips how you can get a better price on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the best prices are with a small local company. These smaller insurers can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
Read more about Utah car insurance
Additional car insurance information is located on the website for the Utah Insurance Department through this link. Utah consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, find disaster information, and read state legal mandates and laws.