If online car insurance comparisons are new to you, it’s easy to get confused by the large number of online car insurance companies and websites competing for business in Bolingbrook.
This article will help you learn how car insurance quotes work and some money-saving tips. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using these tips. Nevertheless, Illinois consumers can benefit from knowing the way insurance companies price insurance differently and use this information to your advantage.
How to Compare Car Insurance Quotes in Bolingbrook, IL
To find the best car insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from car insurance companies in your area. The best method to find the lowest rates consists of shopping online. This can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The first (and easiest) way to find the lowest comparison rates is an all-inclusive rate comparison click to view form in new window. This easy form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry for every car insurance company. One form will return quotes from multiple companies. Recommended for those who want to invest the least amount of time.
- A harder way to analyze rates requires you to visit each individual company website and complete a new quote form. For instance, we’ll pretend you want to compare rates from Allstate, State Farm and Travelers. You would have to go to every website to input your insurance information, which is why the first method is more popular. For a handy list of car insurance company links in Bolingbrook, click here.
It’s up to you which method you use, but make darn sure you compare identical coverage information on every quote you get. If you use mixed coverages it’s not possible to make an equal comparison in Bolingbrook. Just a small difference in limits could mean much higher rates. Just keep in mind that quoting more helps you find the best price.
Are car insurance companies telling the truth?
Car insurance providers like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO consistently run ads in print and on television. They all make the same claim of big savings if you change your coverage to them. How can each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of driver that makes them money. For example, a driver they prefer might be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no driving citations, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will save a lot of money.
Potential customers who are not a match for the requirements will be charged higher premiums which leads to business not being written. Company advertisements say “customers who switch” not “people who quote” save that kind of money. This is how insurance companies can confidently make the claims of big savings.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-110.jpg" alt="Illinois car insurance quote”/>
That is why it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict the company that will have the lowest rates.
Understand what determines the rate you pay
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that help determine car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
The following are a partial list of the pieces that factor into your rates.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
- Bundling policies can get discounts – The majority of insurance companies give discounts to insureds who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible. Consumers may find better rates by insuring with multiple companies.
- Small claims can cost you – Companies in Illinois award lower rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance is designed for larger claims.
- Where you live – Choosing to live in a rural area is a positive aspect when buying car insurance. Less people living in that area means a lower chance of having an accident. Drivers in populated Illinois areas tend to have more traffic problems and longer commute times. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – Your credit history is a important factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit rating is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your by repairing your credit. Drivers who have high credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than those with lower credit scores.
- Mature drivers pay less – Mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, file fewer claims and get fewer tickets. Teen drivers are known to be more careless in a vehicle therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your car insurance policy. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, accidental death and term life insurance are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- Tickets mean higher rates – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Careful drivers tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. Even one moving violation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. If you have severe violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to drive a vehicle legally.
Take advantage of discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, buy you may qualify for discounts that many people don’t even know exist. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but less common discounts must be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Sign Online – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on their website.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can reduce accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts of 20% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your premiums.
To choose insurance companies with discount car insurance rates in Illinois, click here to view.
Smart shoppers get results
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, being labeled a high risk driver or even policy non-renewal. No matter why you want to switch, switching companies is not as hard as you think.
In this article, we presented many ideas to compare car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from a lesser-known regional company.
Budget-conscious car insurance can be bought online and with local Bolingbrook insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Much more information about car insurance in Illinois can be found on the Illinois Department of Insurance website located here. Illinois drivers can report car insurance fraud, download brochures, and learn about insurance regulations.