Have you had enough of trying to scrape together enough money each month for car insurance? You’re in the same situation as the majority of other car owners in Idaho. Insurance companies such as GEICO and Progressive constantly blast consumers with ads and it can be hard to ignore the flashy ads and take the time to shop coverage around.
Don’t pay full price with these discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always advertise all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one insurance company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for signing up before your current expiration date. This can save 10% or more.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Student Driver Training – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education in high school.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may be able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Student in College – Kids in college who live away from home and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
It’s important to note that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
To see a list of insurance companies with the best auto insurance discounts in Idaho, click this link.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no perfect coverage plan. Every situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions may help highlight if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Idaho?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
What if I want to buy from a local Rathdrum agent?
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! Professional agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you may find better rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is emailed to agents in your area who will give you bids for your business. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Picking an provider requires more thought than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- How are claims handled?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
The different types of insurance agents
When looking for a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Rathdrum can either be independent or captive. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know how they are different since it can impact buying decisions.
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents can only place business with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents receive extensive training on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
The following is a list of captive insurance agents in Rathdrum that can give you rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 13785 W Highway 53 – Rathdrum, ID 83858 – (208) 687-9414
Independent agencies are not locked into one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing rates, you should always contact multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Rathdrum that are able to give rate quotes.
E Redman and Co Insurance – 15433 N Stevens St – Rathdrum, ID 83858 – (208) 687-2204
Steve Nagel Insurance – 8068 W Main St – Rathdrum, ID 83858 – (208) 687-5525
For a complete listing of insurance agents in Rathdrum, simply jump to this page.
After getting positive feedback to all your questions and an affordable coverage quote, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that can properly insure your vehicles.
Do drivers who switch really save $465 a year?
Idaho consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for cheaper car insurance by companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. They all say the same thing that you can save if you switch to them.
How can each company make almost identical claims?
All companies can use profiling for the type of customer that earns them a profit. A good example of a driver they prefer could possibly be over the age of 40, owns a home, and chooses high deductibles. Any new insured who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest rates and is almost guaranteed to save when they switch companies.
Drivers who do not match the requirements must pay higher prices and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads state “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That’s the way companies can truthfully make those claims. This illustrates why you need to get as many comparisons as possible. You cannot predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
Additional consumer information websites
More detailed Idaho auto insurance information is located at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Idaho consumers can get help finding coverage, learn about insurance regulations, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and read state legal mandates and laws.
You just read many tips how you can lower your auto insurance rates. The key concept to understand is the more you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the best prices are with a small local company. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
Low-cost auto insurance is attainable both online as well as from independent agents in Rathdrum, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers don’t offer online quoting and these smaller companies work with independent agents.