Finding better rates for Winfield auto insurance can be difficult for beginners to shopping for insurance online. You have so many options that it can quickly become a ton of work to find lower rates in Winfield.
It’s a good idea to get comparison quotes occasionally since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on your last policy there is a good chance you can find better rates now. So forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the best methods to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Tips to Get Lower Winfield Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to big savings.
The list below includes some of the items that factor into prices.
- Being married can save on auto insurance – Getting married can actually save you money when buying auto insurance. It usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Safer cars are cheaper to insure – Safer cars get lower rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Your driving citation history has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Just one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. Careful drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have flagrant citations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to submit a SR-22 form with the DMV in their state in order to keep their license.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a ton of extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying on your policy. Insurance for personal injury protection, accidental death and motor club memberships are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when talking to your agent, but if you don’t need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that men are worse drivers. Both sexes have accidents in similar percentages, but the males cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. They also receive more costly citations such as reckless driving.
- Liability insurance protects assets – The liability section of your policy will protect you when you are found to be at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Your location affects your rates – Living in less populated areas can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Lower population means fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Urban drivers regularly have much more traffic to deal with and longer commutes to work. Higher commute times means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Special features that cut premiums – Driving a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all hinder your vehicle from being stolen.
Compare the Market for Auto Insurance in Winfield, KS
The are a couple different ways to compare quotes and find the best price. The best way to compare insurance prices is to get quotes online. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The first (and easiest) way to get the best comparison quotes is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This form saves time by eliminating separate forms to each individual auto insurance company. A single, simple form will return price quotes . It’s the fastest way to compare.
A slightly less efficient method to get comparison quotes is going to each company’s website and complete a new quote form. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from GEICO, State Farm and American Family. To get each rate you have to visit each site to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. For a list of links to insurance companies in Winfield, click here.
The most time-consuming way of getting rate comparisons is to spend time driving to local Winfield insurance agencies. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the professional guidance only provided by licensed Winfield agents. However, consumers can get prices online and still use a local agent and we’ll touch on that later.
Whichever way you use, compare the exact same coverage limits and deductibles with every price quote. If the quotes have different values for each quote then you won’t be able to determine the lowest rate in Winfield. Just a small difference in coverage limits can mean a large discrepancy in price. It’s important to know that comparing more company’s prices helps you find better pricing.
Is there deception in advertising?
Auto insurance providers like State Farm and Allstate regularly use ads on TV and radio. They all make an identical promise that you’ll save big if you move to their company. How can each company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that makes them money. For example, a preferred risk might be profiled as between 25 and 40, owns a home, and has a high credit rating. A customer who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Consumers who fall outside the requirements will be quoted higher rates and this can result in the customer not buying. The ad wording is “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that kind of money. That is how companies can advertise the way they do.
This emphasizes why you should get as many quotes as possible. It is impossible to predict the company that will fit your personal profile best.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px;" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-119.jpg" alt="Winfield Kansas auto insurance“/>
Discounts can save BIG
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but you may find discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before they will apply.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Accident Waiver – A handful of insurance companies will allow you to have one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates on auto insurance.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- E-sign – A handful of insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy can save up to 30% because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government may qualify you for a discount with a few auto insurance companies.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on the same auto insurance policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will help reduce your premiums.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer auto insurance discounts in Kansas, click this link.
Neighborhood agents for auto insurance
A small number of people would prefer to buy from a licensed agent. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is you may find better rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local agencies is definitely important in Winfield.
For easy comparison, once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Winfield who will compete for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. How cool is that?! You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Not all insurance agencies are the same
If you’re trying to find an insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Winfield are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you get quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection. They often place coverage with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
Below is a list of independent insurance agents in Winfield who may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
- Spengler Insurance and Financial – 11620 152nd Rd – Winfield, KS 67156 – (620) 221-3080
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agencies write business for a single company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have to upsell other benefits. Captives are well schooled on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Consumers often choose to use a captive agent partially due to high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Listed below is a short list of captive insurance agents in Winfield that can give you price quotes.
- Farmers Insurance Group – 112 W 9th Ave – Winfield, KS 67156 – (620) 221-4910
- State Farm Insurance – 1006 Main St – Winfield, KS 67156 – (620) 221-7056
- American Family Insurance – 807 Main St – Winfield, KS 67156 – (620) 221-7743
For a full directory of auto insurance agents in Winfield, go to this page.
Selecting an insurance agency should depend on more than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- How long has their agency been in business in Winfield?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
Upon receiving good answers to any questions you have and a good coverage price, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that can adequately provide auto insurance.
Do I need special coverages?
When buying adequate coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different.
For instance, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Kansas minimum liability coverage?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
More information can be read on the Kansas Insurance Department website found here. Kansas consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, read state legal mandates and laws, and report car insurance fraud.
Affordable insurance is out there
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Insureds change insurance companies for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund, unfair underwriting practices and even poor customer service. Whatever your reason, switching companies is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be purchased online and with local Winfield insurance agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not offer online quoting and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.