Nobody I know enjoys paying for car insurance, especially when their premiums are too high. With so many insurance companies to choose from, it can be impossible to choose the most cost effective insurance company.
It is always a good idea to take a look at other company’s rates at least once a year since rates are usually higher with each renewal. If you had the lowest rates on your last policy the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to one of the quickest ways to buy cheaper car insurance.
Factors that affect insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that go into determining car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get big savings.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The more you drive in a year the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting receive lower rates than those used for commuting. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy properly reflects the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics demonstrate that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both tend to get into accidents in similar numbers, but men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- How many coverages with the same company – Most companies give discounts to insureds who have multiple policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, you still need to shop around to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Add-on coverages can add up – There are a lot of additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your car insurance policy. Coverages for roadside assistance, accidental death and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment at first, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Your driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance than people who have multiple driving citations. Just one speeding ticket can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who get severe violations like DUI or reckless driving may be required to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- High deductibles save money – Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and burglary. Your deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
York Car Insurance Quote Comparison
Lowering your car insurance rates is actually quite simple. All that’s required is to invest a little time to get quotes online with multiple companies. This can be accomplished in several different ways.
- One of the best ways consumers can make multiple comparisons is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This method saves time by eliminating repetitive form submissions for each company. Filling out one form compares rates instantly.
- Another way to shop for car insurance online requires you to visit the website for each individual company and fill out their own quote form. For example, let’s say you want rates from Liberty Mutual, Esurance and Travelers. You would have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker.
To view a list of companies in York, click here.
Which method you use is up to you, but be sure to compare apples-to-apples coverages and limits for each comparison quote. If the quotes have different deductibles it will be next to impossible to truly determine the lowest rate in York.
These discounts can lower your rates
Car insurance companies don’t always list all available discounts very clearly, so here is a list both well-publicized as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles with anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems can help prevent theft and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies permit an accident before raising your premiums so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Auto/Life Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Payment Method – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Multiple Vehicles – Having multiple vehicles on the same car insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
More detailed Nebraska car insurance information is available at the Nebraska Department of Insurance website. Nebraska drivers can get help finding coverage, report car insurance fraud, and view a list of available companies.
The following articles may also be useful.
- Free Guide to Spending Less for West New York Car Insurance Online
- Online Quotes for Islip New York Car Insurance Agencies
- Uncover the Secrets to Lower New York New York Auto Insurance
Buy online or local, you save
We just showed you some good ideas how you can lower your car insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, an insured dropped collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.