Have you fallen victim to an overpriced car insurance policy? Trust us, there are many Fernley consumers feeling the pinch from expensive car insurance.
There are many auto insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and although it’s a good thing to have a selection, having more insurers makes it harder to compare rates.
Consumers should take time to get comparison quotes at least once a year because rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the best rates a couple years back there may be better deals available now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to find out the best way to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
Cheap Fernley Car Insurance Comparisons
Shopping for lower car insurance rates can take time and effort if you don’t know the easiest way. You could spend the better part of a day driving to agents in Fernley, or you could save time and use the web to quickly compare rates.
Many companies take part in a program that allows shoppers to complete one form, and every company returns a competitive quote for coverage. This saves time by eliminating quote requests to each individual car insurance company.
To compare rates using this form now click to open in new window.
One minor caviat to doing it this way is you cannot specify which carriers you want pricing from. So if you prefer to choose from a list of companies to receive pricing from, we have assembled a list of car insurance companies in Nevada. View list of Nevada insurance companies.
Which method you use is up to you, but make darn sure you compare exactly the same quote information for each comparison quote. If you have mixed coverages you will not be able to determine the best price in Fernley. Having just a slight variation in insurance coverages may cause a big price difference. Just keep in mind that having more price comparisons will improve the odds of getting the best offered rates.
Cut your premium with discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always advertise every available discount in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on car insurance.
- Accident Forgiveness – A handful of insurance companies permit an accident before your rates go up so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Multiple Cars – Having all your vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
To choose providers with discount car insurance rates in Fernley, click here to view.
How to Lower your Car Insurance Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that go into determining your car insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
- Discounts for multiple policies – The majority of insurance companies give discounts to insureds who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s in your best interest to compare rates to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Your location affects your rates – Choosing to live in a rural area has it’s advantages when insuring your vehicles. Drivers in populated areas have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Driving without insurance is against the law and your next policy will cost more because you let your insurance lapse. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a revoked license or a big fine.You may need to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Nevada DMV.
- Drive a safer car and pay less – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying when buying car insurance. Coverages like personal injury protection, accidental death and membership fees may be wasting your money. They may seem good at first, but your needs may have changed so get rid of them and save.
- Are you male or female? – Statistics have proven women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are better drivers. They both tend to get into accidents in similar percentages, but the men cause more damage. Men also statistically get cited for more serious violations like reckless driving and DUI. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are several times more likely to be in an accident and are penalized with high car insurance rates.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The higher the mileage driven every year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Most insurance companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars that are left in the garage can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Verify your car insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
- High numbers of claims are not good – If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in Nevada provide better rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Auto insurance is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
More detailed Nevada car insurance information is available at the Nevada Division of Insurance website. Consumers can download brochures, learn about insurance regulations, and view a list of available companies.
Quote often and quote early
In this article, we covered many tips how you can save on car insurance. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
The cheapest car insurance is definitely available online and also from your neighborhood Fernley agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers may not provide online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.