Nobody I know looks forward to paying for car insurance, especially knowing they could find better rates elsewhere. Multiple car insurance companies compete for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the cheapest price
You should take the time to quote other rates every six months due to the fact that insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the best deal last year you will most likely find a better rate quote today. There are lots of tips to save on car insurance out there, but in this article, you’re going to get some great ways to lower your car insurance bill.
If you have car insurance now, you will be able to save some money using these tips. Buying car insurance in Glenburn is not that difficult. Nevertheless, Maine vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of the methods companies use to sell insurance online because it can help you find the best coverage.
Most companies allow consumers to get coverage prices online. Obtaining pricing is pretty easy as you just enter your personal and coverage information into the form. After you submit the form their rating system will obtain your driving record and credit report and returns a price based on these and other factors. Being able to quote online helps simplify price comparisons, but the process of having to visit a lot of sites and fill out multiple forms can be a bit tiresome and repetitive. But it’s necessary to have as many quotes as possible in order to get the lowest car insurance rates.
The preferred way to lower your car insurance bill is to use a quote form to obtain quotes from several companies at one time. It’s a real time-saver, eliminates repetitive work, and makes quoting online a lot less work. After sending the form, it is rated and you can choose any or none of the returned quotes.
If a lower price is quoted, you simply finish the application and purchase coverage. The whole process only takes a few minutes and may save quite a bit of money.
To quickly compare pricing, simply click here to open in new window and fill out the form. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you duplicate the limits and deductibles exactly as they are listed on your policy. This helps ensure you will get rate quotes for exact coverage.
Car insurance companies offer money-saving discounts
Some companies don’t always list every disount available in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of some of the more common and the more hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- Save with a New Car – Putting insurance on a new car can get you a discount because new vehicles are generally safer.
- Telematics Discount – Drivers that enable data collection to monitor vehicle usage by using a telematic data system such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate might see lower rates if they show good driving skills.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction depending on your car insurance provider.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles can qualify you for cheaper rates.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars that have anti-lock braking systems are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Military Rewards – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Distant College Student Discount – Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not take a car to college may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Defensive Driver – Passing a defensive driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, accident-free, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, and good driver.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-vehicle, TimeAway discount, defensive driver, and air bags.
- Geico has discounts for defensive driver, military active duty, membership and employees, five-year accident-free, driver training, and seat belt use.
- 21st Century has savings for homeowners, teen driver, anti-lock brakes, early bird, and air bags.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online quote discount, good student, and online signing.
When quoting, ask every company which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits may not be available in your state. For a list of insurers who offer online car insurance quotes in Glenburn, click this link.
How insurance providers determine costs
Multiple criteria are part of the calculation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other factors are more transparent like where you live or how safe your car is. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that help calculate car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to lower car insurance prices.
The factors shown below are some of the things used by your company to calculate your prices.
- Better car insurance rates with anti-theft devices – Choosing to buy a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems can thwart car theft.
- When should you file a car insurance claims? – If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you should expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Maine give better rates to drivers who are not frequent claim filers. Your insurance policy is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Many insurers provide better rates to clients that purchase more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even with this discount, it’s in your best interest to compare other insurance prices to ensure the best deal.
- Do you work long hours in a tough occupation? – Occupations like military generalsair traffic controllers and miners generally have higher average rates due to job stress and lots of time spent away from family. Other jobs like scientists, historians and the unemployed receive lower rates.
- Being married can save you money – Walking down the aisle may earn you lower rates on car insurance. Marriage means you’re more mature and insurance companies like that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Teenagers vs. older drivers – Older drivers are shown to be more cautious, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.Youthful drivers tend to be easily distracted when driving with friends so car insurance rates are higher.
- Urban residents pay more – Residing in small towns and rural areas has definite advantages when insuring your vehicles. Urban drivers tend to have traffic congestion and higher rates of accident claims. Lower population means fewer accidents in addition to fewer liability claims.
Local agents and car insurance
Some consumers still prefer to sit down with an agent and that is OK! One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local agents is definitely important in Glenburn.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Glenburn who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find the lowest rates AND a local agent. If for some reason you want to compare prices for a specific company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
If you wish to find an insurance agent in your area, see this page of insurance agents in Glenburn, ME.
Deciding on an provider should include more criteria than just the premium amount. A good agent will have answers to these questions.
- Does their agency support local causes in Glenburn?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How are claims handled?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
Much more information about car insurance in Maine can be read on the Maine Bureau of Insurance website located here. Visitors are able to file complaints about a company, learn about insurance regulations, and read industry bulletins.
More comparisons equals lower rates
When getting , do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
You just learned many ways to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.