Comparison shopping for Walla Walla car insurance is always challenging for people who are new to comparing rates online. Consumers have so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a challenge to find the best price in Walla Walla.
It’s a good idea to take a look at other company’s rates before your policy renews since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Just because you had the lowest rates a year ago a different company probably has better rates today. You can find a lot of wrong information about car insurance online but I’m going to show you some good information on how to reduce your car insurance bill.
Buying car insurance in Walla Walla is not rocket science. If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to reduce your rates substantially using this information. Washington vehicle owners just need to understand how to compare company rates online.
These discounts can slash car insurance rates
Car insurance companies do not list all available discounts very clearly, so we break down some of the more common and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Own a Home – Owning a house in Walla Walla may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government may qualify you for a discount with select insurance companies.
- New Vehicle Savings – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Sign Online – A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 just for signing your application online.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
For a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Washington, click here to view.
How your Walla Walla rates are determined
It’s important that you understand the factors that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that could result in better car insurance rates.
Shown below are some of the factors car insurance companies consider when setting premiums.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-107.jpg" alt="Washington insurance quotes” />
- Big city or small town – Choosing to live in less populated areas has it’s advantages when buying car insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Drivers in populated Washington areas tend to have congested traffic and longer commute times. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. The safest vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Having an insurance coverage lapse is a quick way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – A bad driving record has a huge affect on how much you pay. Careful drivers get better rates than bad drivers. Even a single speeding ticket can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. If you have serious violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Teen drivers in Washington are known to be careless and easily distracted when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates. If you’ve ever had to add a teen driver to your policy can break the bank. More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to file fewer claims and receive fewer citations.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Careers like real estate brokers, business owners and stock brokers tend to have the highest rates in part from high stress levels and long work days. On the other hand, occupations such as farmers, students and retirees receive lower rates.
- Consolidate policies to earn discounts – The majority of insurers will give a discount to customers who consolidate policies with them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to comparison shop to make sure you are getting the best deal. Consumers may find better rates by splitting coverages up.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When it comes to choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Buyer beware of car insurance advertising tricks
Consumers in Washington get pounded daily by advertisements that promise big savings by State Farm, Allstate and GEICO. They all seem to make an identical promise of big savings after switching to their company.
But how can every company claim to save you money?
All companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of driver that makes them money. For example, a profitable customer might be between 30 and 50, is a homeowner, and has a high credit rating. A driver who matches those parameters gets the lowest rates and therefore will save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t meet these standards must pay higher rates and this can result in business not being written. The ads state “drivers who switch” not “people who quote” save that much. This is how companies can truthfully make the claims of big savings. This illustrates why drivers should compare as many rates as you can. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will provide you with the cheapest rates.
For more Washington car insurance information
More detailed Washington car insurance information is located at the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner website. Visitors are able to find disaster information, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, read state legal mandates and laws, and learn about insurance regulations.
One last thing about your coverage
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund, being labeled a high risk driver or even high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding the right car insurance provider is not as difficult as it may seem.
You just learned many ways to compare car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the best price on car insurance is with some of the lesser-known companies.