If price shopping auto insurance online is new to you, you may be confused by the sheer number of companies offering coverage in Gulfport.
Buying car insurance in Gulfport is not rocket science. If you are insured now or need a new policy, you can learn to find the best rates while maximizing coverage. Mississippi drivers only need to know the most efficient way to shop online.
Many Things Influence your Rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates enables informed choices that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
- A clean driving record saves money – Whether or not you get tickets has a big impact on rates. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than bad drivers. Just one moving violation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with serious tickets like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions are required to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Small claims can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in Mississippi provide discounts to drivers who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your insurance policy is intended for the large, substantial claims.
- More people means more accidents – Choosing to live in a small town can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. City drivers tend to have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Lower rates come with age – Teen drivers in Mississippi are statistically proven to be more careless when driving so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Parents adding a teen driver onto a policy can really hurt. More mature drivers are viewed as being more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations.
How to Compare Gulfport Auto Insurance Costs
Reducing your insurance rates isn’t really that difficult. Drivers just need to take time getting comparison quotes provided by online insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
One of the simplest ways to get the best comparison quotes is to use a rate comparison form like this one (opens in new window). This method prevents you from having to do a different quote for each company you want a rate for. A single, simple form gets you coverage quotes from all major companies.It’s the quickest way to get rates.
Another way to find lower rates requires a visit to the website for each individual company and request a quote. For example, we’ll pretend you want to compare Nationwide, 21st Century and Geico. To get rate quotes you would need to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Gulfport, click here.
The least recommended way to get comparison rates is to drive around to insurance agents’ offices. The internet can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you prefer the personal advice of a local Gulfport agent. However, consumers can comparison shop online but still have the advice of a local agent and you’ll learn how to do that later.
Whichever way you use, make absolute certain that you use apples-to-apples information for each price quote. If each company quotes different limits and deductibles on each one it will be very difficult to determine which rate is truly the best in Gulfport.
Consumers in Mississippi can’t ignore all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance from the likes of Geico, State Farm and Progressive. All the ads make an identical promise about savings if you change your coverage to them.
But how can every company claim to save you money?
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of customer they prefer to insure. A good example of a desirable insured could be a mature driver, has no driving citations, and has excellent credit. A customer who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest rates and as a result will probably save a lot of money.
Potential customers who are not a match for this ideal profile will have to pay higher premiums which leads to business going elsewhere. Company advertisements say “people who switch” not “people who quote” save that much. This is how insurance companies can advertise the savings. Because of the profiling, drivers must get as many comparisons as possible. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will fit your personal profile best.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always list every discount very well, so we researched both the well known as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Accident Waiver – A few companies will forgive one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Discount for Good Grades – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- College Student – Any of your kids who attend school more than 100 miles from home and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given the the whole policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
To choose insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Mississippi, click here to view.
Car Insurance through a local agent
Some consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find the best rates but also keep your business local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the quote information is transmitted to agents in your area who will battle for your coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
Picking a company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Some important questions to ask are:
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- If your car is totalled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
Choose the right insurance agency
When researching an insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Gulfport can either be captive or independent (non-captive). Either one can write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them because it can impact buying decisions.
These agents can only write with one company and some examples include State Farm or Allstate. Captives cannot shop your coverage around so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are well schooled on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents partially due to the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
Shown below are captive insurance agencies in Gulfport that are able to give price quotes.
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 15068 Dedeaux Rd – Gulfport, MS 39503 – (228) 539-2577
- Allstate Insurance – 14131 Dedeaux Rd – Gulfport, MS 39503 – (228) 831-9287
- State Farm Insurance – 15465 Oak Ln # 100j – Gulfport, MS 39503 – (228) 832-3333
Independent agencies do not work for one specific company but rather can write business amongst many companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. They often place coverage with smaller companies which can save you money.
Shown below are Gulfport independent insurance agents that are able to give price quotes.
- Direct General Ins Agency – 1620 Terrace Dr – Gulfport, MS 39501 – (228) 871-5971
- Fox Everett Insurance – 12260 Intraplex Pkwy – Gulfport, MS 39503 – (228) 897-6700
- Beacon Agency – 1015 Pass Rd # D – Gulfport, MS 39501 – (228) 868-2931
- Direct General Ins Agency – 520 E Pass Rd # H – Gulfport, MS 39507 – (228) 863-7730
- Allen and Smith Insurance – 2401 23rd Ave – Gulfport, MS 39501 – (228) 868-9270
For a full directory of auto insurance agents in Gulfport, visit this site.
Upon receiving answers to your satisfaction to your questions and a low price estimate, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that meets your needs to adequately provide auto insurance.
When should I use an insurance agent?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions might help in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- What are the best liability limits?
- When would I need additional glass coverage?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- How much liability coverage do I need in Mississippi?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Even more information can be found at the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Mississippi drivers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about insurance regulations, and learn about specific coverages.
Quote often and quote early
We just covered some good ideas how you can lower your auto insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest premiums are with a small mutual company.
Low-cost auto insurance can be purchased both online and also from your neighborhood Gulfport agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Drivers leave their current company for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims, not issuing a premium refund and even policy non-renewal. It doesn’t matter what your reason, choosing a new insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.