Paying for expensive auto insurance can bleed your savings account and put a big crunch on your finances. Doing a rate analysis is free and is an excellent way to slash your bill and have more diposable income.
Because there are so many companies and agents to choose from, it can be impossible to pick the lowest cost insurance company.
The purpose of this article is to introduce you to the most effective way to quote insurance and some tips to save money. If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to save some money using these methods. Nevertheless, Indiana vehicle owners do need to know the way insurance companies sell online and take advantage of how the system works.
Auto insurance rates and discounts
Some insurers don’t always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the following list contains a few of the more well known in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates. If you are not receiving all the discounts you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Theft Deterent System – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and earn discounts up to 10% off your .
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Drivers who insure multiple vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Active Military Service – Having an actively deployed family member may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- E-sign Discounts</strong – Many insurance companies will give a small break on their website.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save a little on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Clubs and Organizations – Having an affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a simple method to lower premiums on your next renewal.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may qualify for reduced rates.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- College Student – who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home may be insured at a cheaper rate.
Don’t be shocked that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky.
A list of auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- State Farm offers discounts for multiple policy, passive restraint, safe vehicle, good driver, defensive driving training, and anti-theft.
- Esurance offers discounts including paid-in-full, online shopper, anti-lock brakes, good driver, claim free, multi-policy, and safety device.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, online quote discount, online signing, continuous coverage, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for safety features, new move discount, newly retired, multi-policy, exclusive group savings, hybrid vehicle, and new vehicle discount.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for group or association, mature driver, multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, and air bags.
- GEICO may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, federal employee, military active duty, and defensive driver.
Check with each company or agent what discounts are available to you. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in Seymour. To view insurers who offer online auto insurance quotes in Indiana, follow this link.
Smart consumers know how to buy auto insurance more affordably
Many things are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but other factors are more transparent such as your marital status or your financial responsibility. One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. If you have a feel for what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that could help you find much lower annual insurance costs.
- Good drivers pay better premiums – Your driving citation history can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Even one driving citation may cause rates to rise forty percent or more. Drivers with flagrant violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may face state-mandated requirements to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Low stress job equals lower auto insurance rates – Careers such as judges, executives and stock brokers usually pay the highest rates due to high stress levels and long work hours. On the flip side, jobs such as actors, students and performers receive lower rates.
- Get cheaper costs if you’re married – Your spouse can actually save you money on your auto insurance policy. It means you’re more mature and insurance companies like that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- How do annual miles impact rates? – Driving a lot of miles every year the higher your rates will be. Almost all companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars used primarily for pleasure use cost less to insure as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. It’s a smart idea to ensure your auto insurance coverage states the right rating data.
- When should you not file a claims? – Car insurance companies in Indiana provide the best rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can definitely plan on higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your car insurance is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Liability protection is important – The liability section of your policy is the protection when a jury decides you are liable for damages from an accident. It provides legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should carry high limits.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Most larger insurers will award better rates to buyers who consolidate policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to compare other insurance prices to ensure the best deal. You may still save money even if you insure with multiple companies
- Increase physical damage deductibles to save – Physical damage protection, also called ‘full coverage’, covers your vehicle from damage. A few examples of covered claims would be running into the backend of another car, hitting a deer, and windstorm damage. Comp and collision deductibles define how much you are required to spend if the claim is covered. The more expense the insured is willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. These are some specific questions can aid in determining if you will benefit from professional help.
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Are auto insurance agents a thing of the past?
Some consumers still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and we recommend doing that One of the benefits of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in Seymour.
By using this quick form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Seymour who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered to your email. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Different types of Seymour auto insurance agents
If you need to find a reputable agency, there are two different types of agencies and how they work. Auto insurance agencies are considered either captive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents do not sell for just one brand and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different auto insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, we recommend you get some free quotes from at a minimum one independent agency for maximum quote selection.
The following is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Seymour that may be able to give you price quotes.
CHASTAIN Insurance – 114 S Chestnut St – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 522-4315
John R Moore Insurance – 320 S Airport Rd – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 522-8555
Captive Insurance Agencies
Captive agents work for only one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. They are usually well trained on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
The following is a list of captive agents in Seymour willing to provide rate quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 114 E Tipton St – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 522-2975
Farm Bureau Insurance – 310 S Airport Rd – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 522-8775
Shelter Insurance – 1412 E Tipton St – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 523-1062
Allstate Insurance – 914 E Tipton St – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 522-7300
James Wheatley American Family – 1305 E Tipton St – Seymour, IN 47274 – (812) 523-6195
To help find agents near you, view this directory of Seymour Indiana auto insurance agents.
Selecting an insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Seymour?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Indiana?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
Don’t listen to company ads
State Farm, Allstate and GEICO regularly use ads in print and on television. All the ads convey the message about how much you will save if you switch your coverage to them. How does every auto insurance company give you a better price? This is the way they can do it.
Insurance companies quote their best rates for a prospective insured that will be a good risk. One example of a desirable insured might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has few claims, and does not commute to work. Anybody who fits that profile will probably get cheap prices and have a good chance to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential customers who cannot meet those standards may be required to pay higher prices which translates to the customer not purchasing. The trick companies use is to say “customers that switch” but not “all drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That’s why companies can truthfully make claims that they all have the best premium rates.
That is why you really need to compare many company’s premium rates. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will give you lower car insurance rates than your current company.
Read more about Indiana auto insurance
Additional information is available on the website for the Indiana Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Visitors are able to discover disciplinary actions, find out which companies have the most complaints, and report car insurance fraud.
Leave no stone unturned
We just showed you a lot of techniques to get a better price on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more you , the better likelihood of getting . You may even find the best rates are with an unexpected company. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
While you’re price shopping online, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed full coverage and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Some companies may not provide price quotes online and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents. Budget-friendly auto insurance can be purchased online as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best selection.